Wheel Arches

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:01 pm

The wheels are Revolution 6 inch. I like them. I would like to fit 26R wheels but the price of those is absurd. And to think I used to have piles of them...

The uprights? do you mean the shock tubes? Original with adjustable spring perches. The springs are 80lb .
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:00 am

I thought I would update this since today I finally replaced the body on the restored chassis-now the previously good looking body is looking a little tired...

I used the same method to replace as I used to remove-two engine hoists:
p1060896.jpg and

p1060900.jpg and

I have one question (for now) The fuel line through the tunnel-does it cross the diff support cross member between the top diff mounts? Presumably it does not go through the bodywork and into the boot/trunk area?

I should add-the chassis is on wheeled dollies in the photos.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:58 am

Davidb wrote: Presumably it does not go through the bodywork and into the boot/trunk area?

On my '68 s4se it does go through the bodywork into the boot/trunk area, almost in straight line (nylon hose not being very flexible anyway) and coming out closely to the fuel tank outlet, which protrudes at the front center corner of the fuel tank.

you can see where it comes out on this photo (at the very top) found on the forum

S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:00 am

Originally there was a slot cut in the fibre matting that sat between the cross member and the body. The fuel line ran in a straight line through that slot and through the hole in body just in front of the fuel tank.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Thank you gentlemen!
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue May 02, 2017 4:54 am

Today I finally got to drive the car on the road! After rebuilding/replacing every mechanical part.
It has been almost ten years since the car was last on the road-I discovered the engine block was badly cracked after purchasing the car.
In the photo below local Weber expert Paul Silva is making final idle adjustments after he and I had been thrashing her up and down the road for a couple of hours with a CO reader stuck up her bum! She goes like something wicked :twisted:
img_0754.jpg and
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed May 10, 2017 2:53 am

Last Friday I set out on the rally that I have been rebuilding the car for: The Spring Thaw Rally organized by Classic car adventures here in BC. This involved driving the car across the city of Vancouver in the morning rush hour to get to the start of the event which is on the road to Whistler ski resort. Vancouver has been called the city with the worst traffic congestion in north america and Friday morning it went all out to prove it! Plus the car broke down-in the middle of a very busy intersection. And it rained-my god it rained. It was the worst 2 1/2 hours of driving I have ever experienced!

We made it to the start only to find out that the road we were going to drive through the mountains on-the only road through the mountains- was blocked by avalanches-three by mid morning! So we had to retrace our steps-all 100 cars-and drive for a total of 12 hours to get back to the route. Along the way the Elan continued to act up on occasion. When we got to the overnight stop a mechanic friend quickly found the problem-in the high tension wire- and we were fine after that.
18222503_251891171950011_4253791552698398692_n-1.jpg and

The next day we continued driving in rain-heavy at times and in one town we arrived shortly after they discovered that the Chief of the Fire Department had been washed away in a flood. Later in the day we encountered snow, hail and high winds.

I had fitted Sumitomo tires and as I related in the "tires and wheels" section I am very impressed with them and was able to drive the Elan hard wet or dry.

The third day the weather improved greatly and we had dry roads and even some sun.

The total distance covered was 1700 kms in three days. The car had maybe sixty miles on it when I set out so I am quite happy/relieved.

Some comments: The seats were bloody awful! We got home Sunday evening and my buttocks and back are still sore. I realise it is probably the foam rubber breaking down and I will replace that very soon.

I could not stop oil leaking from the filler cap. There is a deflector plate over the cam and I fitted two seals but oil still runs out. I am thinking that a BRM valve cover at least has a screw on cap...

I fitted new springs and Gaz shocks with adjustable perches before leaving and the springs settled a lot-which was good and expected since they were quite high at first. The springs are 110 lb/ft front and 80 lb/ft rear as suggested by many experts. We found the ride to be quite comfortable at those settings. Despite my acquiring a 7/8" anti-roll bar I fitted the original so that I would have a reference point and found it quite good. I left off the rear 1/2" bar that was fitted to the car during it's racing career in the sixties for the same reason. I will try it in the future.

The engine is 1720 with a BDA crank and .385" lift cams and some porting work as per David Vizard that I did myself. It ran very well and despite fitting an aluminium flywheel and 3.55 diff it pulls away quite easily from a stop. I loved the snickety-snick of the gearbox but longed for a 5th gear-the noise was painful at times.

So there is my report-thirty two years after last driving an Elan (26R5 at Monterey '85) I am back in the saddle!
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Wed May 10, 2017 10:10 am

David, congratulations on getting your car completed and a great story of its first outing! Your a brave man driving in such a long event with a new rebuild. There is much satisfaction in driving a car that you know every square inch. Enjoy the ride!
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear