Wheel Nut

PostPost by: bobm3142 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Sorry to ask such a basic question but will someone please advise me how to correctly tighten the road wheel retaining nut. I have a mallet in the kit for this purpose. The workshop manual says that I should check that they are tight every 1000 miles but does not appear to tell me how to do this or how to tighten them in the first instance.

Many thanks,

Bob
bobm3142
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Here's what the Driver's handbook says.........
Wheel spinner tightening 1 001.jpg and

Wheel spinner tightening 2.jpg and

Or you might want to consider one of Sartos tools to do the job with a torque wrench......Search for "spinner tool" or "sarto" in the Tool Talk section
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bobm3142 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Hello Roger,

Thanks for the info. It is just what I needed. It doesn't seem very scientific but I guess it's worked successfully for years and years.

I have a Lotus workshop manual but not a handbook for my S3. I'll look out for one (perhaps a reproduced one).

Many thanks,

Bob
bobm3142
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:10 pm

I second the motion for the Sarto tool. Along with a good torque wrench (or a piece of pipe, a knowledge of your weight, and the ability to measure), it makes for a better, more consistent fitting.

Art
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:59 am

Eeek....

"We would point out however, that if the nut(s) are overtightened by a very heavy, strong person, ther is a possibility of splitting the wheel in the area adjacent to the wheel nut."

:shock:

I'm heavy (100kg+)....relatively strong...and use a wheel spanner with a 3'+ lever......I'm worried now.......

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bobm3142 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi Peter,
I don't know what kind of an Inginear you is (elec., mech., etc), but if you're mechanical and you look at the wheel arrangement you will see that there is a real danger of splitiing the wheel. When I have more time I will calculate how much talk is needed to split the wheel and what effect dynamic loading through road bumps, etc. might have. The info in the handbook (kindly copied above for me) states that the aim is a torque of 200lbsf.ft with a maximum recommended value of 220lbsf.ft. There is very little difference in these (just 20lbsf.ft) so some care is needed, especially when you consider that friction in the threads could easily account for 20lbsf.ft. At 3ft you need to pull about 70 lbsf. (66.7 to 73.3). I recon a decent torque wrench is the answer. Do clean the threads but do NOT lubricate them and do check that they are tight at regular intervals and after a short distance when you first tighten them.

In order to talk them a spinner tool is needed and from what I can make out (from the leads kindly given to me, above) they are manufactured in the USA and cost about ?100. These look well made and worth the money, however, I want something right now so I going to produce my own design (using what materials I have in my garage). I will use the same principle of a hex. drive in the centre so that I can use a standard torque wrench and a socket. Mine will be made in mild steel, with PTFE contact sleeves, and I calculate that the largest hex. bar I have (0.8" across the flats) is just sufficient to take the torque.

Thanks Peter,

Regards,

Bob
bobm3142
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Bob

"however, I want something right now so I going to produce my own design (using what materials I have in my garage). I will use the same principle of a hex. drive in the centre so that I can use a standard torque wrench and a socket. Mine will be made in mild steel, with PTFE contact sleeves,"

...had the same thoughts so while looking through an autojumble noticed a nice big box spanner,cost ?2,with a bit of grinding and a bit of welding is now a 1/2" drive spinner socket...

[attachment=0]2011_0817knockon0001.JPG[/attachment]

John :wink:
Attachments
2011_0817knockon0001.JPG and
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:59 pm

bobm3142 wrote:Hi Peter,
When I have more time I will calculate how much talk is needed to split the wheel and what effect dynamic loading through road bumps, etc. might have.
Bob

I know it's a typo but it's April first. :twisted: I have to point out that there have been some threads, the battery switch thread comes to mind, that had almost that much talk. Properly focused, talk can be a powerful force. Apply it responsibly! :lol: :lol:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bobm3142 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks John.

Brilliant Bud. I guess there's been too much talk about torque, as powerful as it may be!

Have fun,

Bob
bobm3142
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:43 pm

:lol:
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Bud English wrote:
bobm3142 wrote:Hi Peter,
When I have more time I will calculate how much talk is needed to split the wheel and what effect dynamic loading through road bumps, etc. might have.
Bob

I know it's a typo but it's April first. :twisted: I have to point out that there have been some threads, the battery switch thread comes to mind, that had almost that much talk. Properly focused, talk can be a powerful force. Apply it responsibly! :lol: :lol:

Hey, ease off. Bob may be from Boston! :lol: :lol:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bobm3142 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:22 pm

No, not from Boston. My only 'get out clause' is that my Mum loved me!

Bob
bobm3142
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: