Wilwood Brake upgrades for Elan S4 and Twincam Europa

PostPost by: ProntoPhil » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:19 pm

I found some old posts and information about a company that was making Wilwood brake kits for the Elan and Europa but I have tried to contact them and have had no luck. Anyone have information?

thank you,
Phil Bishop
Rockwall, TX USA
ProntoPhil
New-tral

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:55 am

if you are referring to a company based in Denmark, the owner participates regularly on the forum, through which you may be able to get in touch with him : mio137

std disclaimer : no affiliation with him or his company
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't consider Wilwood calipers an upgrade. We used them on our
scca national contending GT5 Datsun a few years ago. Only positive II could say for them was they were a lighter alloy cast body compared to the iron calipers that were our spares. Caliper pistons were so weak that the calipers had to be rebuilt after every race and they had no secondary dust seal, only a hydraulic seal, so not really a caliper for street use. But, that was ten years ago and things may have changed. Your existing calipers can be rebuilt and are very effective.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:54 am

Imho i think it's best to stay with original calipers and make sure they are working correctly.
I have 4 pot Wilwood calipers on a TVR 3000S that a previous owner had fitted, they are difficult to bleed, replacement pads very expensive, very noisy.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:15 pm

I fitted Willwood 4 pot alloy calipers to my Caterham 7 race car that used the same uprights and calipers as the Elan (I made my own mounting brackets) and was very pleased with them, a considerable increase in braking efficiency, no fade and better pedal modulation, that said it was a light vehicle with a motorcycle engine so they would not be worked as much as in an Elan but I consider them to be Superior to the standard caliper, whether you need better is another argument.

I was surprised to read of the leaking seals after one race as they appear to dissipate heat very well with little transfer to the pistons, mine were fitted around 2001 and the vehicle has been laid up since 2004 so they may well be siezed by now, I'm returning to the UK tomorrow so will pump the brakes and roll the vehicle to see.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: