Wobbly handbrake tree

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:05 pm

A 6mm bolt is slightly smaller diameter than a 1/4? bolt so may give even more wobble due to increased clearance. Make sure the bolt is not threaded the full length, the unthreaded portion should be a better fit in the tree.
Tips on helping your granny suck eggs also available!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:12 pm

That's fine - even though I'm an experienced amateur mechanic, I am happy for you to teach me how to suck eggs - all of this discussion is based on one accidental observation of the tree, and it might just have been the intended left-right wobble I saw. I have not inspected it closely yet, because I am still trying to work out how best to raise the car safely using a jack and axle stands. Yes, I have looked at all the Heath Robinson under chassis block contraptions, I just need to make my own.

So, let me get this right... I put a pin hole at each end of the egg and do what..? :D
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Not sure, let me check with my granny!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Bigbaldybloke wrote:A 6mm bolt is slightly smaller diameter than a 1/4? bolt so may give even more wobble due to increased clearance. Make sure the bolt is not threaded the full length, the unthreaded portion should be a better fit in the tree.
Tips on helping your granny suck eggs also available!

If it's not threaded all the length it's a bolt.
If it's threaded all the length it's a set screw :wink:
That's what i was told when i was an apprentice
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm

I made the mistake of not putting the tree into the chassis before fitting the body and it took two days to fit it and attach the pull rods and then shorten them to work properly in my sprint.
Brian Bucland says that it easier to undo all mounting and lift body to insert the lower through bolt!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:11 pm

Do you have the spacer (no.10) on the correct side of the tree? It's not uncomon for it to have been fitted incorrectly which makes it catch just about everything, that may well have caused the mounting tube to get ragged out of shape.
plus2-parts-jf.jpg and

BTW, two things i found really helped keep my handbrake working for long periods...... First was make sure the Disk is dead centre of the caliper as the handbrake mechanism doesn't account for even a slightly off centre disk.... Second is the handbrake pad retaining springs, i can't tell you how much these things have caused me headaches over the years. When they get old they stop pulling the pad off the disk and the knock on effect is you get cooked handbrake pads........ it's only a little thing but for me it made a huge difference.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: