Wobbly handbrake tree

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:20 am

Hi

While mucking about under the car I noticed the handbrake "tree" was a bit wobbly. The rods actually catch against one of the doughnuts unless the handbrake is fully disengaged. I couldn't see how the tree is fixed - is it just sat on a vertical shaft with no fastener?

I'm aware if the Sue Miller parts, by the way, but not sure I need to spend due north of ?100 to address this issue. My handbrake "sort of" works, and did pass an MOT last year.

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:57 am

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:12 pm

So do I take it the tree screws into the post?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi, the tree screws onto the post and should swing freely side to side but not forward and backwards. The side to side is to compensate for pads worn more on one wheel than the other, but basically should be vertical if everything is set up correctly.

Cheers
Simon
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:36 pm

I'm guessing that mine isn't screwed in, then. I'll have a look later on.

Grr, bodgers!
:evil:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Looking at the diagram, I take it that the tree is free to rock from left to right as it appears to be mounted on a horizontal bolt? This would allow it to equalise braking force on the two rear discs.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:22 pm

JonB wrote:Looking at the diagram, I take it that the tree is free to rock from left to right as it appears to be mounted on a horizontal bolt? This would allow it to equalise braking force on the two rear discs.

Exactly.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:33 pm

I think some owners have made the tie bars to operate pads adjustable in length. This means when the handbrake is off the arm connected to the cable is back as far as possible.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:45 pm

OK, while we are on the subject of the handbrake, I am having real difficulty adjusting my handbrake warning switch. It acts like it's got an intermittent connection (light flickering or off) yet when I short the feed to earth the light is on solid. The switch works too, I have tested it with a multimeter. It looks like it has a very short actuating shaft but it's the same as a new one I saw on eBay. The only other thing I can think of is the ground, it is connected to the neck of the switch, so goes via the handbrake mechanism itself. I suppose this is not a valid ground point.. no?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:01 pm

The warning light for the handbrake is also for brake failure which is actuated from the brake master cylinder cap.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Handbrake adjustment is 'fun', start at the outside and get the pad clearance right making sure that the retention arms pull the pads back on release. Then you can adjust cable outer to take up slack.
As mentioned sometimes you still don't get the tree far enough back to get enough travel in which case pull rods might need shortening. I did this by drilling new holes in the U on the end - adjustable rods are available.
Lots of threads on the forum with pictures of what to do.

You will need a positive earth for the switch rather than relying on a return through the mechanism.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Yep, was the earth. Now working correctly - I haven't adjusted the handbrake mechanism itself as it is "sort of" OK. I always leave it in gear when parked, just to be safe. Will look again at this when I sort the tree thingie out.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:05 pm

the horizontal bolt in the handbrake tree is the key .... It's in a really awkward position and i found that by tightening it up a few turns (& usinga nyloc nut ) it took all the wobble out of mine and it transformed the handbrake performance. Really worth persevering with tightening horizontal bolt as much as you can 8)
Rich
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Top tip, Rich, thanks!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Jon
If you don't mind a bodge a M6 roofing bolt with a roofing type square nut is "self -held" in place and easy access is via the boot....

5th post down...

lotus-gearbox-f37/lotus-speed-gearbox-t19761-15.html

John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: