Brian Buckland 2nd Edition - binding discussion

PostPost by: SENC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:55 am

Ring binder! But I, too, would likely buy a hardcover for bedtime reading.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:27 am

draenog wrote:Personally I don't care how it's bound, as long as it gets published soon. I don't have an original copy, and refuse to pay the stupid prices it goes for on ebay.

This was somewhat blunter than I had intended. What I meant to say was that as someone without a copy of this fine manual, I will buy it in whatever form it finally arrives.

While I can see the merits of a ring binder (removing pages), I can also see that for casual browsing it is easier in a bound form. I have several copies of the official workshop manual. One of these has been bound into a hard-cover book, and I find it is easier to look through this as you don't have to physically move pages around the ring. The difference is not a big deal, so as I said I'd be happy either way.

Rob.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:39 am

I'm not sure I'd want to buy another entire book in order to just get the updates.

Would be interested though in getting the updated material in order to add it to the book I already have.
Even as a pdf I could print out myself, that would be the cheapest/most profitable option for Brian.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sprint4dm » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:34 am

Hi
There is a good range of waterproof and tear proof papers available which would solve the problem of the punched holes tearing and can also be wiped clean.

We have printed several jobs on this material it's brilliant but it is quite expensive

Dave
Lotus Elan Sprint
sprint4dm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:07 am

Hello,
just an update on the book:
Brian was with me for 6 days, but he did not bring his book with me ... :cry:
He still needs to put the images into the right place.
I also want to make clear, that if you contact him in the next weeks YOU DISTRACT HIM FROM DOING SO :!:
So, restrain yourself !

We spoke about binding, and we agreed on making two version, ring binder AND a hard cover version, difference in pricing will be according to printing costs, which will be requested as soon as parameters (Number pages, number of coloured pages) are fixed.
An "update" of the old version is on the list, but first we have to sort out the new version first. The ring binder needs some manual work to it, so I *suppose* first will be hard cover, later ring binder and "update" afterwards.
I will keep you posted

Regards
Guillermo
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ricarbo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:32 pm

As it is a little awkward to turn the pages, it helps to know where you are trying to get to. So I make a note of the page number of where I found the answer. In other words - an index! I also make notes on where to find sub sections within the sections, e.g.infomation about the dash is on page 519 in section M, not chapter 7, Interior Upholstery, etc.
Richard
ricarbo
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:01 am

Guillermo - wondering if you have any updates - would make wonderful Christmas gift!
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: