Classic Le Mans

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:01 pm

I have just booked my trip to Classic Le Mans with the Grand Touring Club www.grandtouringclub.co.uk

It was a great event two years ago (only run every two years) and I can wait to blast along those quiet french back roads :D in my S4 roof down of course 8)

Has anyone else got any plans to make the trip this year? If so you need to book soon as these events get booked pretty quickly. If you take a Lotus you can park up in the paddock with the French Lotus owners club. May be we could have a small lotuselan.net section?
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:57 pm

Steve,
A number of CLOGs are going, I've booked us in as a participating club; ordered our entry tickets and booked the camp site. Just got to sort out the ferry- website cannot cope with six cars, six people, two cabins! Will need to talk to a human soon. :P

Pete
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:56 pm

I have been booked for some time. My brother and myself are going in my +2, speedferry and acommodation arranged, leaving from Lincolnshire early thursday morning and returning monday. It would be nice to meet up with other lotus enthusiasts en route. Do I have to book special tickets to park with the french lotus club?
We have the trip pretty well organised as we always go to the 24 hour and have done the last two classics as well. This will hopefully be more fun in the lotus as we usually go in my brothers TVR!
I think we should have a LARGE lotuselan.net section!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:21 pm

You need a special car pass to get in to the paddock parking area. You will need to get this from the organisers.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:01 pm

For those headed to Le Mans, or just generally interested, here's a little clip from a GT40's point of view:

http://media.putfile.com/lemans-1969-lap-inside-gt40

(Haven't checked the rest of the site ..... there may be further nuggets).

Hope it pastes ok.

Regards.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:48 pm

... love those hay bales tied to the trees- bound to stop a 917 at 240mph!

Anyone know if it is possible to drive from Maison Blanche campsite through the tunnel on to the Bugatti circuit at LM Classic?

We have Participating Club parking passes for Bugatti but the only campsite the "organisers" (and I use that therm loosely) are offering appears to be Maison Blanche, on the other side of the circuit. :-(

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:21 pm

When I was there last time (2004) you had to go up to Arnage to get under the circuit to the inside for the club parking. There is a foot tunnel to the paddock/pits right next to Maison Blanche.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:07 pm

I have finalised the bookings for five of us CLOGs, we are taking the overnight ferry Portsmouth to Caen on the Wednesday before and return the Monday after. I am in touch with the Jensen Owners Club who know a great back-roads route without much commercial traffic- I'll post details when I get them.

Of course, the term "back road" means different things to different folks- an Interceptor is about as wide as an Elan is long!

C&SC magazine are now running an "official reader's run" to LMC06, they use the same ferry outward, but a day later than us and return on a ferry that drops them off late in the evening (requiring an overnight UK stop, or night drive, unless you are soft Southerners!). It costs about 100 GBP more than our DIY effort (+ overnight) and is organised by one of the commercial package folks.

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:54 pm

The C&SC magazine trip to Classic Le Mans is the one I am booked on. As well as the accommodation and ferries there are some hospitality events included. This trip also includes a road book with a back road run to Le Mans from Caen. I did the same trip 2 years ago and had a great time :D Being a souhern softie I only have a 2 hour drive from Portsmouth so the late crossing is not too much trouble.

I hope I can meet up with the CLOG in Le Mans
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:28 pm

How about an informal Lotus meet at the Hotel de France at La Chartre at some point? It is a must to visit for the food or just to soak up the atmosphere.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:06 am

Saturday lunch at Hotel de France at La Chartre is an idea. It looks like a 40 minute drive from Le Mans??? It would be great if we could get a convoy going and some tables booked for lunch. What do you think about this?

How many are in the CLOG party?
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:46 am

Steve
there are 5 CLOGies.....
Pete, myself, Ian, Brian and Paul.......
we have S2, S4, S4 sprint and +2 (although Ive still to put the +2 back together....otherwise it'll be an M100......however the 'president' has insisted that I should be fined if going in my 'new' elan!!!!)
cheers
Gareth
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:17 pm

Steve,
I have already booked for lunch but will happily increase the booking if I have an idea how many would like to go. Booking will be needed on sat lunch as it is popular.
Let me know.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:55 pm

chris/steve
I've asked the CLOGies....however before they reply have you seen the itinerary????
Saturdays lunchtime fixtures

11:45 ? 14:45
PARADE: MANUFACTURER, CLUBS & CONCOURSE

14:50
Discovery Track laps aboard Historic Bus

15:00 ? 15:30
Presentation of the Drivers and Teams

16:00
Le Mans Classic 1st Round Start -Grid 1

and I think that CLOG are included in the 'parade'

just a thought
cheers
gareth
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:11 pm

I am in a similar situation to yourself, my S4 is currently in bits while I fit new rear suspension, driveshafts and steering rack. Should be all finished by July though :?

There will only be my good lady wife (navigator) and myself, so considerably out numbered by CLOG so very happy to fit in with what ever you have planned. We already have commitments on Fri, Sat & Sun evenings. If lunch is not possible a couple of beers would be just fine :D

Has CLOG got their own parking area or are you squeezing in with the French Lotus Club?
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: