Club Lotus Show & Festival 2011 - Donington Park 13/14 Aug

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:08 am

Tim,

Thanks for the picture (#10) that shows me sitting eating my lunch on the bank behind my car.

I visited the stand three times and did not see anyone - not even Alex who I know quite well. Just to prove my presence, I left a clear thumbprint in the top LH corner of his car. Knowing Alex, he probably saw it, expressed some expletives, and wiped it off.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:07 am

Brian

I am sorry that we were not there when you were, it would have been delightful to meet you. No excuses other than to say we were all pulled in a number of directions on both days. I promise to do better next year and have slapped my wrist.

Alex had some whizzo shine stuff and the car came up really well. He did say at one point 'That Brian Clarke's been here, hasn't he? I can tell another engineers thumb print from a mile off!'

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 am

I had a great day on Saturday, talking for 12 hours! Had to spend some time with the Elite boys, and a couple of chums who had bought their F1 Camel 101 Lotus and Lotus 69 along hoping for a demonstration run around the track. Unfortunately they couldn't be fitted into the busy schedule, but I'm pretty certain that the crowd would have been happy to put up with a 10 minute delay to see and hear the cars, the 101 especially, roaring around Donnington. Hey ho.

The Elan of the show for me was....the BDG engine Sprint. It is so beautifully engineered with a subtle but purposeful appearance....a real credit to the owner. I bet it's quite nippy as well!

There was a lot of interest in getting a 'focus' on the Elan within Club Lotus, from members and the folks at the club, and I'm impressed with the ambition within the club to get all the old magazines etc. on-line over time, as well as the marque information. Great to see such constructive enthusiasm.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 pm

My show favourites were:-

1. Gold Leaf F3 69
2. The already mentioned BDG engined Elan
3. The "Cossy" engined Europa out in the Lotus parking area.
4. That gorgeous yellow Elan on the Club Lotus Elan Section stand.
4. Robin Longdon's "DADD10" always deserves a medal also.
5. All of the Elans on Matty's stand, especially the one with those gorgeous flared arches.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Tim

A great weekend for me. Meeting the leading lights of lotuselan.net. Putting faces to names etc. Gathering int for the future!
Great to meet you and a big thanks for your organisation. I can only imagine the hard work you put into it all. You are a goldmine of Elan information and all without the need of a computer from what I could see.

I have seen the Holy Grail now in Alex and Carol Black's Sprint 8) :mrgreen:

Ian
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slowsprinter/
Lagoon Blue over White 1972 Sprint DHC
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nico506 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi All
It was a great time for me- the first time I have put a car on display( BRG Elan LDC stand) and meeting such a supportive community, I enjoyed seeing old faces and also keeping in touch with listers who have helped bring my car 'alive' after a long slumber since 1974 in bits!!!

Like everyone else- Alex Black's sprint seemed to shine better than alot of other cars in the hall- I wonder if he could share his secrets in polishing it as mine - was a bugger to do as its a dark colour- and lights didnt help.
8) :oops:
It was also intersting to hear other owners comparing features and tweaks and whilst it can be irritating- I must say the differences are what make each of our cars unique and fun to own - unlike standard production cars.

Thanks all and may this forum live on !!!!

Have a look at some of the photos taken below on flickr, and hopefully see some more of you all over the coming yaear and at the birthday celebrations!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lotus_driv ... 045062083/

Cheers
Nico
lotus Elan S3 1968 SE DHC
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:42 pm

Jason
You managed to catch me posing by my Sprint on photo # 066!!

:lol: :lol: I was trying to cut you out.

The wife nearly had a heart attack when she saw the 'for sale' sign on the parcel shelf of the burnt sand car! Sadly it was only for a number plate so no need to start the garage extension just yet. :D

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:59 pm

bcmc33 wrote:Tim,

Thanks for the picture (#10) that shows me sitting eating my lunch on the bank behind my car.

I visited the stand three times and did not see anyone - not even Alex who I know quite well. Just to prove my presence, I left a clear thumbprint in the top LH corner of his car. Knowing Alex, he probably saw it, expressed some expletives, and wiped it off.

Och Brian! I am sad that we missed you. We were on the stand a lot too.. How the blazes did that happen?

Saw the print from about 10 yards! Left there with pride!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Happy to have your (and other) enthusiast's prints on my car. A real pleasure.

Alex...

Sorry we missed you mate. Next time...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Here's the link to the very fine polish product you all seamed to admire....

http://www.spray-and-shine.co.uk/

We would also like to thank everyone involved in this weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and the chats with you all. Just great. Thank you all. The little car again performed near perfectly. Used a 1/4 pt of oil for about 750 -800 mls, never leaked and was very comfortable even hood up. What a difference the 5 gears make. Did anyone spot the 5 speed fitted? It still has the 4 speed shift stick. Anyone notice any difference?

Kind regards,

Alex & Carol black.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:07 am

Alex,
Your car looked very nice with a deep shine and an absence of swirl and fine surface scratches that are normally so self evident on cars displayed indoors under harsh lights. Most waxes on the market contain very little actual wax and are nothing more than fine surface cleaners, the purpose of a real wax polish is to fill fine surface scratches and give the paint a wet look shine. Spray & Shine contains Carnauba Wax which is the absolute number one best wax it is also a natural product, Swissvax which starts at ?56 a tin is Carnauba based http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/swissvax/onyx-wax.aspx.

Mr Matty would have scored more points from Mrs T if his cars had been prepared by yourself!

Sorry I didn't get time to say hello properly on Sunday, we had to dash to Silverstone to watch this little gem being raced.

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:17 am

Awesome! I feel like I am there taking that Picture.. Wonderful! Great looking car! How did it go?

Days to remember! :wink:

Did we meet on the stand? I honestly cant remember if we did. I apparently went walkabout a couple of times...

So did Tim by the way.. AND..He ''could not find'' the kettle, so the Cwt of mugs and the 500 teabags we brought went unused.

What is he like.. :roll:

Happy days...

Regards to all.

Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:54 am

Alex,
Briefly so as to not drift off topic too far, the Type 11 driven by Don (on the left) and John had a great day out. John is the main driver and the car is set up to suit him, consequently he gets to qualify the car and frankly has enough talent to put it on the front row, but that's not John's way as he prefers to start at the back of the grid and avoid any first corner squabbles especially on a 30 minute timed race. On a grid of 22 he was up to sixth by lap 4 much to the bemusement of the Silverstone commentator who described the car as disappointing when it was on the grid :) this was it's best position due to a seriously impressive 360 degree spin on turn 1, John just kept his foot in and rejoined having lost 3 places, all of which he had regained in the same lap. Don took over at lap 11 to the end of the race finishing 9th overall. A truly beautiful car that could clear the field if campaigned more seriously.

Regards

PS: Tim, make sure you bring the kettle next year :roll:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm

[/quote] <snip> Interested to see the Heather coloured Sprint DHC which was marked as "sold" by the end of the morning. It was up to ?12k+ on EBay so would be interested to know what it sold for. Richard[/quote]

"Sold" ??

It's still listed & being bid on...now up to ?17.1K....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1423.l2649

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:35 pm

ardee_selby wrote:
<snip> Interested to see the Heather coloured Sprint DHC which was marked as "sold" by the end of the morning. It was up to ?12k+ on EBay so would be interested to know what it sold for. Richard[/quote]

"Sold" ??

It's still listed & being bid on...now up to ?17.1K....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1423.l2649

Cheers - Richard[/quote]
Add another ?15k to put it right - you might just as well go and buy one of Matty's expensive items.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rennbaron » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:17 pm

I asked the seller on saturday evening about the price...and he told me that he sold it for 17500...

cheers

Christian
rennbaron
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: