Club Lotus Show & Festival 2011 - Donington Park 13/14 Aug

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Summer, the Elan on the road, the sun on the bald bit and the wind in the teeth. Back to Donington and I thought we should try to do something as the lotuselan.net community.

But what? Let's start chewing over some ideas so that we can make whatever we decide, work.

Take a stall? Organise a meeting place? Have an agreed time to meet for a drink or three? If so, on site or off? Parts swap, tool share (you know what I mean!), meet the expert?

Logistics - who is staying where? Camping? Elan only parking? Who can offer accommodation to any Elan enthusiasts from North America, Oz, SA, Europe?

Other ideas ......

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi Tim,
I'm very happy to have a meet up either on or off site. Not sure how CL would react to an Elan.net (Club?) stand and indeed if a stand would be available / offered. Big independent shows can often offer some free space to clubs. I used to organize a stand for the Pan Clan. Honda ST owners club at a couple of Scottish shows and they were all free space to us. If a stand was a possibility who would plan it and man it? I suspect one might get left to it. CL Scottish members have a meet on the Sat' night.Have done for the last few years. But we all stay roughly in the same area.

The idea of a meet up with decent organization and location might work. Local hotel for a drink / meal ? But that will depend on who is staying where etc. I stay for the Friday and Sat' nights using a TI at the Airport. Big enough for a group meet and a natter no problem. That and a coffee stop at the show at set time / place would be good for starters.

Anyone??

Alex...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hartley hare » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:57 pm

great idea, tim..
let's hope we can get something together on here...
even if it's just meeting at the beer tent at a certain time and day.
any suggestions ,anyone?
all the best..

stu.
Last edited by hartley hare on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
hartley hare
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi. Camping sounds good. I did a search and found this place: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie ... revid=1352

Looking on google earth it's right next to donnington:

donnington.jpg and
google earth of donnington

As I'll be on my way from Weymouth camping would suit well - I could even bring a gazebo to keep the rain off :)

The reviews look good. I haven't checked availability yet though.

If anyone else ends up camping we could meet up for beers and bbq.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:03 am

Hi Guys,

Sounds like the start of plan A.... :)

We won't camp (Its bad enough with en suite! :lol: :lol: ) but we will be staying just along the road, and there's a great little pub just down the road for plan B if required... :roll:

All your fault Tim.. See what you've started? :lol:

Happy days.. If my 5 speed box ever turns up! .. Flammin' carriers! :?

Alex B..... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:45 pm

My wife is thinking about camping.....

Ian
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm

rocket wrote:My wife is thinking about camping.....
Ian

I hope its somewhere nice when you're enjoying yourself at Donington. :)
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 pm

Chaps

Plans are afoot to mark the passing of Ron Hickman at Donington this year. It may include an Elan track parade so I hope that acts as encouragement to all of us with cars on jacks or under covers to make this year the one that the resto gets finished. After all, we've got the 50th coming up next year too.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:09 am

In the past Alan Morgan of Club Lotus has been very helpful in providing space for a LousElan.net meeting point, both at Donington & Stonliegh.
From my experience very little use of those facilities was made.
I placed a notebook on a table where we could leave messages etc.; which at the most had 6 entries.
One of us also kindly made a very nice LotusElan.net sign to designate that area.
I am sure that Alan would once again accommodate us in that way, but I think the promise of more visitors to the meeting point will prove that it is worthwhile.
Drawing on that past experience, I don't think that a LotusElan.net stand would be at all feasible.
Apart from the possible costs (who would pay?) what would we be attempting to achieve?
What/who would that stand be promoting?
A jumble stand is simple to arrange & a few of the guys on here have done it before, either individually or collectively.
They of course have the interest in selling their unwanted bits but who wants to spend many hours manning a stand when there are so many things to see, do & people to meet.
Unfortunately each of us has our own agenda & have only one or possibly two days in order to get that done & meet up with other known Lotus friends.

I appreciate that this all sounds a bit disparaging & past experience need not be be a reason for not making a renewed strengthened attempt.
Why not ask Alan for a meeting point, he'll fix it for sure.
Each of us could then arrange to meet other members there at a suitable time.

It'll be interesting to see how this theme develops :)
Cheers
John

P.S. It'll be sad not to see Ron Hickman wandering around the show, trailing his wheelie shopping bag behind him :cry:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:23 am

I haven't missed a Donnington show since I began Lotus ownership, ten years ago. Unfortunately, the car and I will be on summer hols, so cannot make it :(.

I wonder how many others will be in a similar position? Seems an odd time of year for the annual bash, but you can never please everyone ..!

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:56 pm

JJDraper wrote:I haven't missed a Donnington show since I began Lotus ownership, ten years ago. Unfortunately, the car and I will be on summer hols, so cannot make it :(.

I wonder how many others will be in a similar position? Seems an odd time of year for the annual bash, but you can never please everyone ..!

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

There was fair warning in this thread of the dates for this year.
the usual Spring date was not possible due to the refurbishment work needed in the exhibition centre needing more time to complete.
Club Lotus got the first choice of available dates & plumped for the one given.
As far as I understand the majority of Lotus owners are happier with this later date as the weather is generally more favourable, particularly for owners wanting to attend with older, cherished cars, such as ours.
This timing could well remain a regular thing so next years Hols should be planned accordingly.
Sorry you won't be able to make it this time around.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:19 pm

JJDraper wrote:........Seems an odd time of year for the annual bash, but you can never please everyone ..!

Jeremy

Perfect and sensible time of year for a classic car event IMO :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:46 pm

I have arranged a little something with Alan and we shall have 'facilities' full time, Saturday and Sunday. I'll probably end up on duty most of the time, but I know one or two folk will help out. So we shall have an Elan meeting point and a little bit more besides, more of which anon.

On a slightly different tack, I was sorting some old photos and came across these, taken at Donington in October 1977. I'm not sure if that wasn't the first Club Lotus gathering at Donington; were any of you there too?

Tim
Attachments
Donington Oct 1977.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat May 28, 2011 4:53 pm

I was!
The previous winter Graham Arnold organised a road show to drum up some support for the 'new' Club Lotus, with Miles Wilkins and Jem Marsh giving a natter and supporting Graham. I was nabbed as the area organiser for the South West, and there were a couple of us from the area up at Donnington.

No photos though I'm afraid, but I did take a load at the next meet at Hethel, the Lotus Open Day 1978....I'll have to dig those out. Do you have any other photos of Donnington in '77? My S3 Coupe LDU443F, or a pistachio green dhc Sprint with big arches and Revolution wheels? Or a S4 Coupe in bahama yellow, 130S in black? Don't know their numbers, but that was the core gang of cars!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:44 pm

I was at Hethel 1978! Sorry but no pic's either. The only pic's we took are difficult to find but if I do I will share them. The pic's I posted showing the JPS Navajo were some of them. A few in the factory too but that's all..

Looking forward to Mark's pics.....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: