Cylinder Head Breather pipe replacement / upgrade

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:12 am

Ceejay, Rohan et al,

Thanks for the follow up and information, I have replaced the pipe with a new "rubber" one and so far so good. I am planning to get my car MOT'd next Friday so hopefully it will remain leak free-ish when on the road.

Interesting point Rich raises as to is it a breather or a return pipe, the latter is my understanding.

However, I was talking to chap who supports a very quick Elan S2 Racer which has the head and block holes for the return pipe blocked off relying on a pipe from the cam cover (which at the time I assumed went) to a catch tank for venting purposes. I did not ask/ notice if there was a "return" plumbed in as well but it was interesting to note that the original return pipe had been ditched altogether.

Cheers Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:55 am

No probs Peter...hope all works out OK for you.
CeeJay
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:03 am

Peter +2 wrote:Ceejay, Rohan et al,

Thanks for the follow up and information, I have replaced the pipe with a new "rubber" one and so far so good. I am planning to get my car MOT'd next Friday so hopefully it will remain leak free-ish when on the road.

Interesting point Rich raises as to is it a breather or a return pipe, the latter is my understanding.

However, I was talking to chap who supports a very quick Elan S2 Racer which has the head and block holes for the return pipe blocked off relying on a pipe from the cam cover (which at the time I assumed went) to a catch tank for venting purposes. I did not ask/ notice if there was a "return" plumbed in as well but it was interesting to note that the original return pipe had been ditched altogether.

Cheers Peter

Yes If you ditch the breather to the carb inlets you can also ditch the drain pipe between head and block as its primary purpose is to drain the oil knocked out from the blowby gases as it vents into the carb inlets. The McCoy conversion machines off this original breather and drain system as the rear two intake ports run through it. So you need a separate breather which is normally taken off the front of the cam cover to a catch tank in race cars. it all works fine !

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks Rohan.

Cheers Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear