Elan/ Wheeler Dealer

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:28 am

US viewers will finally get to see the Elan on Wheeler Dealer, tune to the Velocity network Wednesday night at 9 pm.

Or, you can dig in the archives here and read about it in advance. :)
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cchs79 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:16 am

Or you can watch it on You Tube
cchs79
New-tral

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:29 am

Last edited by Jason1 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:40 pm

First time I have seen it and Love it as a show- its great but a long way from real life. I especially loved the bit around getting the exhaust off as this is my favorite Lotus Elan challenge. Just fitting a new TTR big bore race set to my Elan and struggling with the 1mm clearances in about 4 places despite many years of learning all the tricks. My old home made set did not look as nice but went in and out a lot easier :roll: coz I designed it to deal better with all the clearance issues

I just wonder how many other things they neglected in their quick superficial tart up of what appears to be a real bitza of a car. With top ball joints as stuffed as they showed the rest of the bushes and trunnions would have been on the way out also both front and rear

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:17 pm

Salut

Enjoyable watch - thanks for posting. Enjoyable because it was about the Elan and I wasn't the mug who made the Wheeler Dealers a five grand profit. Also as I saw the person behind the charming telephone voice at Mick Miller's for the first time.

Can gel cracks be reasonably treated that way?

I also thought, or read here, that CV driveshafts were no longer available from Sue for the Elan (but still available for the +2).

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:32 pm

I like you Vernon watched it with pleasure from France having had no contact with UK TV for many years.

Blimey Brewer is a bit of a porker now isnt he! And as for that wig :shock: :shock:

I too was shocked to see how they treated the gel coat cracks, I have an optimistic open mind but that seems to be stretching the bounds of reality.

I joined this forum to ask what Elans were worth these days after digging mine out of long term storage, I was pleasantly surprised to see just how much they have risen, to put some context into the rise can anyone tell me when the program was recorded and were the buying and selling prices quoted realistic at that time (I know its TVland and all the expenses will have been fiddled) or did they just pluck figures out of the air like "A place in the sun"?

As an aside my twink fired and once up to temperature was purring and idling like a jewel for only the second time in 25 years, the last being myself 15 years ago, and still on the plugs and points that are a minimum of 25 years old. She now starts on a 1/4 of a turn!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:39 am

Well, Chancer - seems it's your lucky day. Obviously it's not worth as much as the one on Wheeler Dealers as it's been standing idle for 25 years, so I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands for 5 grand :lol:
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:02 am

If you take off that stupid wig you might stand a chance!

En revanche. Were you to sprawl your corpulant form across my delicate bodywork whilst negotiating like you did in the film you would have been eating the tarmac :shock: :x

I still dont believe he got the vehicle for that price or was it many years ago?
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:23 pm

vernon.taylor wrote:I saw the person behind the charming telephone voice at Mick Miller's for the first time.

She's a sweetheart :wink:

vernon.taylor wrote:I also thought, or read here, that CV driveshafts were no longer available from Sue for the Elan (but still available for the +2).

That's correct Vernon. The programme is from a while ago now.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Salut Chancer

Lacking Mike Brewer's charms I should have expected your answer.

The show dates from November, 2010 - so not that long ago. I'll re-calculate my offer with inflation taken into account...

A list fiddles they've done and the cars they've done them with is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler_Dealers

Interestingly they've only bettered their profits with a Dolorean and a Morgan.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:00 pm

I lost all touch with values when I left the UK in 2004 so am interested to know whether values have gradually risen or shot up quite recently.

I dont believe any of the prices that are shown in realityTVland, according to Amanda Lamb I should have been able to get a local team of builders to convert my place to 7 flats for ?2000 in a couple of months, would that it were true, I would not still be working on them myself after 7 years!!

That said I think the wheeler dealer prices are probably more honest than most.

My questions now are, could that vehicle really have been bought for ?8 thousand and whatever it was in 20010?

What would the vehicle as bought, i.e. before they spivved it up, be worth today and what would the finished lash up be worth to a blind punter today?
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 pm

vernon.taylor wrote:The show dates from November, 2010 - so not that long ago. I'll re-calculate my offer with inflation taken into account...

This is 2012 Vernon, it's over a year ago that it originally aired and it was clearly filmed well before that.

That's a long time for the driveshafts to become no longer available :wink: :D
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:27 pm

elancoupe wrote: Or, you can dig in the archives here and read about it in advance. :)

Sorry, a bit late but I found it...

elan-f14/elan-needed-for-appearance-t20315.html

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:15 am

Thanks Richard, now we know they were already "restoring" the car before May 2010.
Columbo
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:25 am

I know this is years late but this car had a clean MoT in November 2009.
With a car the original owner said he didn't drive there's no way the ball joint would have got that bad.
Same goes for the rotoflex - they all looked good and the 'bad' one was looked ok before they took it off.
So the usual tart up job!!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: