Geely to take control of Lotus from Proton

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed May 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed May 24, 2017 7:07 pm

This is a new model Geely being launched in China later this year and released in the nNorthern American and European markets in 2019.

There's been rumours of SUV test mules lurking at Hethel, and reports late last year from Lotus mentioned that an SUV was definitely on the horizon built in China
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Certainly a novel interpretation of simplify and add lightness.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:10 am

vincereynard wrote:Certainly a novel interpretation of simplify and add lightness.

Yeah but no but... I don't think the Lotus Carlton/Omega was particularly light nor the Sunbeam Lotus either. The front of that car reminds me a bit of a Cayenne. Perhaps it should be called a Chilli Lotus. Built in China with Volvo and Lotus input it could be cheap enough and good enough to make a mark. It seems Geely is quite seriously ambitious so it can surely only bode well for Lotus??
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 25, 2017 7:08 am

Is this a quorum ?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu May 25, 2017 8:23 am

Certainly, what the world needs now is another 2 ton lumbering parking space blocker!

With the added value of being built in that world renowned centre of automotive excellence China. Super!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 25, 2017 8:34 am

vincereynard wrote:Certainly, what the world needs now is another 2 ton lumbering parking space blocker!

With the added value of being built in that world renowned centre of automotive excellence China. Super!

Didn't we used to say that about Japan?

A good article here https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d ... e27100187/

extract
In the late 1950s and early 1960s, it was hard to see how Japan could rise to the top of the automotive world. After the Second World War, the Japanese car industry was crippled by the destruction of the nation?s infrastructure and weak demand. Toyota almost went bankrupt in 1949. In 1950, its production was limited to 300 vehicles.

Back then, Japanese car makers were known mainly for their habit of ripping off designs from other manufacturers. Toyota?s first passenger car, the 1936 Model AA, was a blatant copy of Dodge and Chevrolet designs, and some parts could actually be interchanged with the originals.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus14S2 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:49 am

Actually, I remember a friend buying an early Datsun 1600. It was a very impressive car for the time; it came with everything stock including a very good radio, and a working heater. The engine was pretty much a BMC copy, but with a forged steel crank, and excellent internals.The SU replicas did not leak and actually worked without a re-tune every other day. It also had an excellent easy to fold down top (hood?) that didn't leak. I remember my first "Sports Car" an MG-TD Mk.2 (twice as much to go wrong), and you didn't dare drive it when it was raining as the inside would be wetter than the outside ;-).
Unlike the "real" BMC cars, the Datsun was cheaper and came fully equipped, as opposed to the British habit of selling a stripped car where everything was an option.
I had bought just about one of every English sports car, and still own a couple; a glutton for punishment. We would joke that you could tell it was still in the garage, as you could hear the parts falling off of it. I still love (hate) British sports cars and own a '63 S1 Elan, '61 S2 Elite, Merlyn Mk4A, and a Rochdale bodied Austin 7 special. there is nothing more fun when they are working right.

As far as the current crop of what ever Lotus is now called, they seem to be no more than some sort of tax dodge for a litany of investment companies, who buy and sell it as the whim overtakes them.
Lotus14S2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:50 am

I guess just one more car company that finds it cheaper to buy Lotus than pay for the contract development work they were paying for and sell it when they no longer need the work

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri May 26, 2017 9:12 am

It actually looks a lot like this -

screenshot-from-2017-05-26-10-10-45.png and

MG! I wonder what happened to them?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri May 26, 2017 3:33 pm

Looks like Chinese eye headlights are making a comeback.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: