Goodwood Breakfast Club Sunday 5th June - Post 1970 cars

PostPost by: Steve G » Thu May 26, 2011 8:57 am

Is anyone on here planning to go to this? It will be my first outing for the Elan and be good to meet some other owners. If you haven't been to one before, they are free to enter and great fun, if a little busy these days! Get there early.

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/breakfast-clu ... -june.aspx

I contacted Goodwood to register my car for the grid but had no reply thus far. I only just get into this category by three months.
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Thu May 26, 2011 2:58 pm

A few of us often attend.
I will be there with my S4 and Paddy is usually there.
You can expect a bunch of moderns (Elise etc) as they organize a run down to the event.
Hope to see you there
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:03 am

I just got an email from Goodwood, they would like me to display my car on the Toyo tyres start line display. They're even laying on a 'fabulous buffet breakfast'.

I'd better get the polish out, oh dear, I'm suddenly conscious of all the untidy bits and the noisy clutch bearing.

Hopefully see Bruce and Paddy there, anyone else? Forecast looks good.
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:28 pm

Great, see you there
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:44 pm

I didn't make it today, but I did see this nice S1 on the Pistonheads photo thread:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altrezia/5 ... 6765767519

Anyone we know?

I went instead to our local charity classic show and got very wet :(

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:57 am

It was a poor turn out for Elans in general, there were only three there including mine! A red S3 with racing modifications and 26R style faired in headlights (not a 26R though as it was a DHC) and a Plus Two. I saw a lovely Pistachio over White FHC Sprint on the drive down and my wife and the driver waved at each other but I didn't see him at the event either, he could have been in the public car park though. There were more proper (4 cyl) Esprits there than I've ever seen.

It was a great morning all the same, my car was parked behind the toilet block (!) but people were walking past countless TVRs and Ferraris to come and look at it. I went back to put some things in the boot and there were about 8 guys all taking pictures and scrutinising it! I felt a bit embarrassed so pretended it wasn't mine. It's a good way of picking up impartial advice as to what needs 'correcting'. One guy commented it wasn't an original Sprint, the H registration is an immediate giveaway to the trained eye. I'm pleased about that though, I don't want it to be a Sprint-a-like, just an S4 with a Sprint engine and Gold leaf colours! The weather held up while I was there and on the drive back, I even let my wife drive. She loved it and said something I will never forget; "It makes you feel really free, doesn't it?" Kind of hit the nail on the head really. I didn't put the roof up the whole day and got drowned on my way home later in the day, all part of the fun.
Attachments
Elan and Seven at Breakfast Club.JPG and
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:59 am

Think I got there too early! At least there wasn't a queue to get in but they weren't letting anyone into the grid or paddock. I ended up in the car park to the right as you go in the gate.

I must admit I was a bit dubious about the choice of cars that were being allowed on the grid. It didn't seem to fit the 70's supercars theme. I do wonder how the guys on the gate decide - I guess it is a thankless task.

By the way Steve, I guess you need a bit of gold stripe to complete your stripe? Send me a message and we can arrange something.
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: