HELP: silly question:maybe i'll have to correct my ebay data

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:34 pm

i'm currently selling a tc head and have made the following claim: the valve seat inserts are adequate for BIG VALVES, having 41,33mm (1,625" is less) - my own has 40,5mm inlet valves so i'm pretty sure (or feel safe) i didn't lie OR DID I ??????? - i would immediately change the false info! MANY THANKS sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi Sandy

1 thou over 1.625" is rather tight but, IMO, acceptable.

You might want to revise the listing, as it states postage as 6 pounds :-)

Being a pedant, the UK puts the pound sign in front of the amount :-)

Have the valve guides been changed? Any gas flowing?

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:42 am

thanks steve! no gas flowing etc.. guides look nice and i think the seats can also be modified / lapped for the big valves. this head came off of a running engine! cheers sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:11 am

Normal seat inserts for 1.625 in / 41.27 mm big valves for racing are around 43 mm OD. With the valve sealing surface on the extreme outer edge of the valve and around 1 mm wide and the seat and port bored to around 39.3mm. This leaves around 2 mm wall thickness on the seat insert.

To much bigger seat OD and you get tthe seat insert OD intruding into the spark plug threads, to much smaller and you get to thin an insert wall thickness with the 39.3 mm seat bore.

Many heads have had oversize valve seats fitted during rebuilds to achieve the right interference fit, the original inserts were around 41.5 mm outside diameter I believe.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:00 am

that's what i got, as the combustion chamber and the inserts aren't measurable (i measured 41,3) more accurately! thanks rohan - i, btw, got the sealant: it doesn't say No. 3 though (but 80017 is stated) -- is this the same product??? thanks sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: