High Level Brake Light

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:30 am

Top of my to do list on my return from Corfu,have already ordered the led strip from Ping-Pong.
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:39 am

KevJ+2 wrote:I am also changing all my bulbs to led and I asked about the high level light as the brightness from the brake lights don't seem to increase significantly when the side lights are on (but probably still an improvement on the old double filament bulbs). Quite an improvement in brightness generally. I'm also changing the festoon bulbs to led. 8)
Kev.

If you are still using the standard bimetallic flasher unit, then it probably won't work with LED replacement lamps if you replace the indicators.

The flasher unit relied on the load resistance of the bulbs to pass sufficient current to warm up the bimetallic strip and make the flasher flash.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:25 am

Well , got back from Corfu safe and sound and on the doormat was a parcel from Ping Pong,straight to work...cutting the strip to size,colouring it black and fixing to the inside of the rear screen.....

dsc01689.jpg and

dsc01690.jpg and

dsc01693.jpg and

dsc01692.jpg and

...and that's in the daytime....I wouldn't want to be following myself in the dark :lol:

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wickey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:33 am

Very neat
Wickey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:48 pm

Nifty! How is it fixed in place?
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:56 pm

I did try clear sellotape tabs ( as in the photos ) and fit them under the rubber but they wouldn't stay so found that good quality black adhesive tape allowed it to " dangle " from the inside rubber seal thereby shining the leds more horizontal rather than upwards..

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:12 am

KevJ+2 wrote:As much as I like to keep things original, I'm considering fitting a third light on my parcel shelf (when it's back in :lol: ) Although I'd rather do without it, It's one of those modern things that are annoyingly better to have than not. I suppose it might catch drivers' eyes better whilst they're texting or nose picking etc. What are your thoughts?

Not only have i fitted a third brake light on the parcel shelf, but also a pair of rear fog lights. The original rear lights just dissappear if it's raining.

Still didn't save us in a rainstorm on a French motorway. We survived, but the 4WD which hit us then self-destructed on the armco. :shock:
Attachments
dscf5204-custom.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wickey » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:04 am

Foxie wrote:
KevJ+2 wrote:As much as I like to keep things original, I'm considering fitting a third light on my parcel shelf (when it's back in :lol: ) Although I'd rather do without it, It's one of those modern things that are annoyingly better to have than not. I suppose it might catch drivers' eyes better whilst they're texting or nose picking etc. What are your thoughts?

Not only have i fitted a third brake light on the parcel shelf, but also a pair of rear fog lights. The original rear lights just dissappear if it's raining.

Still didn't save us in a rainstorm on a French motorway. We survived, but the 4WD which hit us then self-destructed on the armco. :shock:

I reckon the French are the worst tailgaters in existence. If you slow down to let them overtake they just slow down too. :mrgreen:

Like the number plate Foxie.

I did view one Lotus +2 that had converted one side reverse light to a foglight. IIRC he used an E-type rear lens which has a red insert rather than the clear insert. The front fog/driving dash switches had been wired so the fronts were on just one switch instead of individual so the other switch was then used for the rear fog. Obviously must have had to run some additional wiring front to back but that was all hidden.

Not sure what the USA lamps are like on a Lotus as there were so many variations on this Lucas rear lamp both inside and lenses.
Wickey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:50 am

John
Excellent idea and will add to my winter list of things to do.
Can you post a link to Ping Pong?Google bringing up lots of ping pong balls!
Presume you ran the feed from the brake circuit in the boot?
Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:16 am

For "Ping Pong",please read Hong Kong....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181777582536? ... EBIDX%3AIT

and yes,there were spare bullet connectors for brake and earth

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:09 pm

Thanks John
Never was good at cryptic clues!
Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:15 pm

P.S.
The strips tend to come in white,a few strokes with a sharpie,leaving windows where the leds are makes for a better look....( see top photo)

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Nice work John. That's exactly what my plan is. Have the red led strip left over from a kitchen lighting scheme and saw a Bentley Continental with that high level brake light and put 2 and 2 together. :D
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:05 am

" put 2 and 2 together" ...isn't that Plus2 plus Plus2.

John :lol:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:30 am

Wickey wrote:
I reckon the French are the worst tailgaters in existence. If you slow down to let them overtake they just slow down too. :mrgreen:

Like the number plate Foxie.

This guy wasn't tailgating, he was aquaplaning down the motorway at high speed, completely out of control :o

Foxie = 70XIE. The very last number of the old Irish system, DWP 984J re-registered in Ireland at office closing time in Ennis, Co. Clare, 31st December 1986. The man in the tax office opened the book and said "Take your pick, none of these numbers will ever be used again ! :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: