High Level Brake Light

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:13 pm

As much as I like to keep things original, I'm considering fitting a third light on my parcel shelf (when it's back in :lol: ) Although I'd rather do without it, It's one of those modern things that are annoyingly better to have than not. I suppose it might catch drivers' eyes better whilst they're texting or nose picking etc. What are your thoughts?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162095948301? ... EBIDX%3AIT
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:33 pm

I think it's a good idea, maybe get something that will sit flat on the parcel shelf and make it detachable if you ever wanted the car to look original on occasions?
I do think that a high level brake light may help to save the rear from a shunt as the Elan is so tiny by modern standards, it's easily overlooked (literally)
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:09 pm

here's what i did with my JPS Europa, so yes, i'm in favor!
jps185-025.jpg and
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:10 pm

the linked one is a bit too modern look.
How about this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-3rd-Brake-L ... 1948164704
At least some metal ...
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:52 pm

I've added one to my car.

I've fitted it at the top of the screen as I think it's a lot more visible there. Then in theory run the wire in side the seal.

I went for a basic 12" strip
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/upd-38 ... fgodUdcFCA

Put it in side shrink wrap, with a hole cut for the lights, then have little tangs that slip under the seal to hold it in place. The wire can run in the window seal. My seal has dried out thou so the wire doesn't stay put well. Will sort it when I fit the new seal.

Gives a very bright light as high as it can go in a pretty small foot print. Still visible from the rear but not too obvious.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:25 pm

I added these LED units, purchased from a motorcycle-oriented Internet site. The two outboard units are at low intensity when the lights are on, and blink at high intensity with the turn signals. I feel much more comfortable driving at night (and even in the daytime) with these. The rollbar also serves as a mount for the shoulder belts, thereby serving three functions in the Lotus tradition.
Attachments
img_1546.jpg and
img_1548.jpg and
Brake light.
img_1547.jpg and
Running and turn signal light.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:26 pm

Good to know that others have done this, and some good ideas too. I guess It's practicality over originality with added safety as the incentive.
I am also changing all my bulbs to led and I asked about the high level light as the brightness from the brake lights don't seem to increase significantly when the side lights are on (but probably still an improvement on the old double filament bulbs). Quite an improvement in brightness generally. I'm also changing the festoon bulbs to led. 8)
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:37 pm

I hadn't thought about this either until seeing this thread, but being as safety-conscious as I am, this is now on my project-list.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wickey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:24 pm

dscf5285.jpg and
dscf5247.jpg and
The neatest one I saw was on the Lotus Plus 2 with the 'questionable' purple roof when I looked to buy it. Sadly not enough funds and now its gone. Apparently it was from a Lotus Esprit so doubt it would be cheap to find one but it certainly looked in keeping. Multiple halogen bulbs so gave off a very bright light. Couple of pictures which I was sent at the time shows the fitting.
Wickey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:10 pm

Wickey wrote:The neatest one I saw was on the Lotus Plus 2 with the 'questionable' purple roof when I looked to buy it. Sadly not enough funds and now its gone. Apparently it was from a Lotus Esprit so doubt it would be cheap to find one but it certainly looked in keeping. Multiple halogen bulbs so gave off a very bright light. Couple of pictures which I was sent at the time shows the fitting.

The Esprit high level light was taken from a GM car of some sort. It may have been a Corvette I think.
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Due to the very low nature of Elans, I think the best solution for maximum safety, would be to have the light at the top of the rear screen. The fixings slid under the rubber surround sound good, keeping it all very unobtrusive...and no screws :D
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:58 pm

I used a BMW E28 five series light from the wrecker. Looks the right vintage I guess. :)

There were some unnecessary electronics inside the housing that I gutted out. Used an incandescent bulb. Housing slope matches the Plus 2 rear glass pretty well. I think I just fastened it down with double sided tape so it can be removed easily without damaging the parcel shelf.

Sorry for the lousy photo, hard to get a decent one through the glass! :D

Stu
Attachments
image.jpeg and
This shows the housing mounted on some stiff packing foam to raise it up to the base of the window. The wire just runs through the gap in the parcel shelf mounting edge. Could probably clean up the look a bit by running the wire under the foam or out the 'front' of the housing below the lens. Hadn't looked closely at it since I put it in!
image.jpeg and
BMW E28 Five series brake light housing installed in the Plus 2.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wickey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:41 am

KevJ+2 wrote:Due to the very low nature of Elans, I think the best solution for maximum safety, would be to have the light at the top of the rear screen. The fixings slid under the rubber surround sound good, keeping it all very unobtrusive...and no screws :D

I agree, but it can be quite annoying in your rear view envelope as an obstruction unless you can find a very slim one
Wickey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:56 pm

Wickey wrote:I agree, but it can be quite annoying in your rear view envelope as an obstruction unless you can find a very slim one

I agree. I think my LED bar one is around 5/8" and isn't particularly noticeable from the drivers seat.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:59 pm

I have one on the parcel shelf. It's from a Ford Mondeo, I also have a spare one from a Jag. (can't remember which model, but as Ford owned Jaguar at the time, they are probably the same, they look it anyhow).

Regards
Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: