Immobiliser

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:46 pm

I was browsing through my newly arrived Club Lotus Magazine, and spotted an advert for the Sure Touch Classic Car Immobiliser. As our cars are becoming so valuable,I was obviously intrigued,and had to look it up.
It comprises basically a"black box,and a couple of couple of touch points" you switch on the ignition, and unless you touch both of the touch points,nothing happens.
Am I missing something,or am I alone in thinking that this would only deter the most amateur of thieves?
One of my fears when using any vehicle of this era is how easy they are to start and run without a key,and I cannot see this system changing that situation.
I am not wishing to start a fight with anyone,but would just be very interested in hearing other people's views,and hopefully being convinced that I should indeed buy one myself!

Ray S4 fhc, now happily retired ( Me, not the car!)
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:20 pm

I agree with you. Pretty much anyone can start the car by adding power supply to coil and jumping the starter or bump start. Even easier if you have the push button solenoid!

The tack I have taken is a remote controlled battery kill switch on the battery hidden under the boot floor. This means people have to at least find that and work around it to get the car. I also have the fuel pump and elec ignition on a fused relay so can disable power to them by removing a fuse. Of course none of this will stop them taking the car but does make it a little less straightforward and more time consuming.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:22 pm

I have one of these to wrap around the pedals...

http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/bullock.htm
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Now that one does make sense to me, Richard. Well made,simple,reliable.

Ray s4 fhc
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DrinkMan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:56 am

Here in USA, we have a good theft prevention system on our old cars - a third pedal!

http://jalopnik.com/three-would-be-carjackers-thwarted-by-manual-transmissi-1502685486
Life is too short to drive boring cars or drink boring beers but not at same time
66 Elan S2 S/E
05 Elise
68 Lancia Fulvia
68 Merc 280S
69 Alfa Spider
72 BMW 2000tii tour
73 Opel GT
73 Triumph TR6
73 Porsche 914
74 Alfa GTV
79 Triumph Spitfire
03 Jag XKR
DrinkMan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:12 pm

I think the beauty of the Sure Touch is no one should know you have one fitted - as long as you don't make the 2 touch points obvious and your starting routine looks natural. There are various levels of things you can disable with the system. I'm sure it automatically resets too so if a thief car jacked you for instance the next time they tried to start it they wouldn't be able to.

There's not much you will be able to do if a professional thief wants your car whatever you protect it with, ultimately they'll lift it onto a transporter, a gps tracked alarm might help with that but a professional would find and disable it.

A reasonable level of protection and deterrence is all you can do. As a former insurance company security surveyor tasked sometimes with protecting ?100,000's of highly attractive stock I ought to start a thread on how to protect your garage. If there's some interest I might.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:19 pm

Good points,thanks Steve.
And I for one would be interested in getting a discussion going about garage security.

Ray S4fhc
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:11 pm

elanfan1 wrote:A reasonable level of protection and deterrence is all you can do. As a former insurance company security surveyor tasked sometimes with protecting ?100,000's of highly attractive stock I ought to start a thread on how to protect your garage. If there's some interest I might.

Yes, I'd be interested to hear your experience & views on what's available these days as well.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Can't beat old technology :D

images-269x187.jpg
images-269x187.jpg (38.37 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:30 pm

I installed a Black Box electronic ignition controller. When I'm not in the car I take the controller into the house. As the distributor weights are wired immobile, the car won't run (enough to drive it anyway). Works for me. :wink:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:41 pm

As I was asked by a couple of folk above I've just posted a new thread:

free-parking-f45/garage-security-t37680.html
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:06 pm

I fitted a remote solenoid battery switch - it sits on the battery post under the boot floor and is operated with a key fob 'plipper'

More in response to being paranoid about the thing catching fire but it makes for a nice security measure as well.

Whenever I leave the car, the battery is switched off. Great peace of mind.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: originalsprint » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:58 am

Interesting, good, solid replies here re. keeping our cars safe. Obviously it's good to put two or three forms of car security on the car when it's unattended - especially if the car is stored in a location away from home. I fitted a Sure Touch more as an anti car jacking unit. As our cars become more valuable I felt this was becoming more of a threat than stealing from a garage or wherever as the cars are quite "exposed" when out and about...thieves don't now break into a home to steal a mobile phone they do it in the street! I may be over cautious here but if this should happen, the thief would have to figure it all out in order to make off with it. Also, at times when one stops for petrol and goes into pay, the car is perfectly safe. Apparently they are selling a lot of units to very modern cars that the thieves can hack into with a laptop. Seems it's saved quite a few high end ones and, at the other end of the scale, Ford Transits!...oh dear the times we live in.. :|
originalsprint
New-tral

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:26 am

A recent trick which is being used in London apparently, applies to expensive cars that have an electronic card instead of a key. The car unlocks when the card is near and locks when you walk away from the car.

Normally if the car is outside your house and the key-card is inside that is too far to unlock the car but thieves are using an electronic amplifier to pick up the card signal from inside the house & feed it to the car, which then unlocks (and starts ? ). So they drive it away.

So if you have one of these on your 'other' car, keep the key-card in a tin case when at home.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Oldthumper wrote:I was browsing through my newly arrived Club Lotus Magazine, and spotted an advert for the Sure Touch Classic Car Immobiliser. As our cars are becoming so valuable,I was obviously intrigued,and had to look it up.
It comprises basically a"black box,and a couple of couple of touch points" you switch on the ignition, and unless you touch both of the touch points,nothing happens.
Am I missing something,or am I alone in thinking that this would only deter the most amateur of thieves?
One of my fears when using any vehicle of this era is how easy they are to start and run without a key,and I cannot see this system changing that situation.
I am not wishing to start a fight with anyone,but would just be very interested in hearing other people's views,and hopefully being convinced that I should indeed buy one myself!

Ray S4 fhc, now happily retired ( Me, not the car!)

I thought a S4 had steering lock which is part of Ignition Switch :?
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: