Import into the USA - 25 year rule and EPA

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:51 pm

A couple of the Plus 2s that I have been looking at as candidates for import into the US have Ford blocks and Lotus heads - i.e. not the original motor.

In reviewing the EPA guidelines associated with the 25 year exemption rules, it seems to apply where the car retains the original motor. [ I am also guessing that it also applies to the chassis - but that has been discussed at length and as long as the VIN/Chassis on the V5 matches that on the Lotus plate in the engine bay, that one seems to be resolved.]

My question is rather what happens if the engine number is inconsistent with that shown on the V5 and/or the Lotus plate in the engine bay?

Does this become an issue during the import process?

My guess is that if the numbers on the V5 from the DVLA can be validated to numbers existing on the car, then US Customers et al are relatively happy campers with the process?

Thanks for any information.

Nick
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:18 pm

They all have Ford blocks, whether they have the original Ford block is another question altogether. If the engine no. On the V5C matches what is in the car I doubt you'd have a problem.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks, I should have been more accurate re: the block definition
Line P5 on the V5 is marked "Engine Number" and if it doesn't match what is in the car, my assumption is that it makes sense to get the form corrected to match what is in the car before exporting.

Nick
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:26 pm

The DVLA will be very awkward about that and it could take a lot of effort to get it changed. The import people won't physicality check the engine no. as they wont have a clue where to look. If you want to preserve the original chassis plate in the engine bay buy a new one off eBay and if not just get the one in the car stamped with the chassis no, and where it's normally left blank stamp in engine no. on the new or existing plate. A quick cheap and hassle free alternative. Maybe have the existing owner laminate some paper with a note in the engine bay pointing to the chassis plate. That's all they'll look for!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:45 pm

That is a splendid idea
Thank you
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:04 pm

nwbaxter66 wrote:My question is rather what happens if the engine number is inconsistent with that shown on the V5 and/or the Lotus plate in the engine bay?

Does this become an issue during the import process?

Thanks for any information.

Nick

When I imported my car through US customs from Canada only the Vin number was inspected.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 am

My experience matches Phil's, except that I was asked to read the VIN number off the plate to the inspector, because the car was in a U-Haul truck and she didn't want to climb in and read it herself. There was no interest in the engine. :-)

I think the level of validation will be inconsistent depending on the type of entry - driving across the Canadian border through a small port of entry is likely to be less rigorous than bringing the car in on a ship through a big container port. That said, I'm sure no-one will give a fig for the engine number on a V5.

Presumably what you'll need is a proof of ownership (a bill of sale would be perfect - there are examples on the web).

I believe the issue with engines is that if, for example, the car has an engine that is 2010 technology then it will have to meet 2010 emission standards. If the car has 25 year old engine technology then there will be no emission standards to meet. And, fortunately, a modern rebuild of a vintage engine doesn't change things. The actual number of the engine is not the issue, aside from making it easier to prove that the engine is of the appropriate vintage.

It's going to take a vigilant examiner to bother to go to this extreme, but it would be worth having some proof that the engine is age appropriate to the vehicle. If push came to shove I'm not sure what this would require - pictures, workshop manual?

Somebody told me that in times past the usual dodge was to take the engine out of the car, then ship the car and the engine separately, as unrelated items. Then put it back together after arrival. ;-)

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:39 am

Thanks very much, i think i am in a good place
Really appreciate the advice
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear