Importing a car into Australia

PostPost by: GHill » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Hey All

I remember seeing a forum post recently about one of our Australian colleagues who imported a UK Plus 2 into Australia - I couldn't find the thread and I had a question about the process i.e. is it easier to import a classic car into Australia or is it relatively simple to import any UK car into Australia.

Thanks - I know I could go hunting google but I do like to hear things from those that have done it.

Cheers
g
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:50 pm

The biggest challenge now to importing an old car is the potential for asbestos in gaskets and brake pads etc. The Australian government has recently introduced a requirement that the importer needs to provide evidence that the car does not contain asbestos. How you do that is somewhat challenging as you need evidence that the GRP body does not contain it - letter from Lotus? and that you have fitted new modern non asbestos brake pads and fitted new gaskets to the engines etc where the old ones may have contained asbestos etc etc. There was a recent case where a number of display cars ( historic race cars worth millions) for the Australian Grand Prix were held by customs due to this.

The gotcha is it is also illegal to export a car potentially containing asbestos so once it arrives and fails to pass customs inspection it is stuck from either coming or going until you can prove it does not contain asbestos and that may involve completely stripping the car :twisted:

So do your research carefully.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:24 am

http://www.classicusaimports.com.au/
try these guys. I had an Aussie buy a car from me with no title and used this outfit to import the car. i'm sure they'd be able to quote you or answer any of your questions. good luck!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GHill » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Cheers Gents

Very useful info - I appreciate it.

Regards
G
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi

As Rohan points out you will need to prove that all asbestos parts have been removed, brake pads, clutch and any other suspect looking heat insulation.

Prior to even trying to ship the car, you will required an importation permit called a VIA, you can look this up on the customs website. They say they take a few weeks to provide them, however last one I obtained took close to 3 months, that was importing a car from NZ to Australia in the days before the latest asbestos rort was started, its money for old hat and in many cases when an unsuspecting importer gets caught, they are in control as its then a custom/bonded yard appointed mechanic who is engaged to remove said parts, the catch though is they then leave it all pulled apart, and the whole time your paying demurrage (Storage) charges!!

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Lotus has confirmed that the exhaust heat shield contains asbestos. See this thread:

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-chassis-f36/white-asbestos-t21945.html

(Response from Lotus is on page 3)
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: