Lotus 70th Anniversary

PostPost by: JimE » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Does anyone have any gossip on what Lotus are planning and when? Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:10 pm

I?ve not heard anything Jim, but I understand Top Gear tried to do something at Brands Hatch a couple of weeks ago, but it was snowed off !

Knowing Lotus, they?ll announce something at Hethel in July, to take place 2 weeks later !
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Thanks Richard. I'm holding off booking my summer hols but I don't want to put it off for much longer.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Jim, I asked Andy at Lotus what was planned back in January. He had no idea at that time.

I did find that Lotus' Twitter account is using #Lotus70. But all they have said since the start of the year is 'It's 70 years since our founder Colin Chapman built the Lotus Mk1, and in 2018 we'll celebrate and continue his legacy of innovative and focused engineering to produce the Lotus cars of the future'.

Over on Face Book they said 'As we begin a year of celebrating turning 70, take a look back at our 2017 highlights. 70 years old and still at the forefront of lightweight engineering'.

In other words, it's all about selling new cars! They've already announced two 70th celebration models.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:09 pm

No Open Day then. Cheap skates.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RonR » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 am

Looks like there was a reason the Lotus Festival couldn't be found on the Brands Hatch calendar this year.....

It's been moved to Hethel!

See you there on 29th September.

https://www.facebook.com/officiallotusfestival/photos/a.1655041294515201.1073741832.824419777577361/2017191388300188/?type=3
Ron '68 +2, '92 M100
RonR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 am

Somewhat underwhelming response on here to this news!

[b]Two[/b] events concerning the Lotus 70th:

[b]First [/b]has been and gone. "Lotus are gearing up to mark 70 years of innovation and heritage with a planned celebration ?like no other? during this years? Goodwood Festival of Speed, July 12-15. Besides boasting status as an automotive partner to the famous event, Lotus is set to showcase their unique legacy with celebrated historics, race winning Formula 1 cars and the very latest in their line of sports offerings."

Here is an abbreviated happening report: "Proudly celebrating 70 years of innovation and a pure driving experience that?s second to none, Lotus has marked the anniversary of its inception with a birthday cake and Champagne reception with the Duke of Richmond and Gordon at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Joining His Grace was Group Lotus? recently appointed chief executive officer, Mr. Feng Qingfeng, and Clive Chapman, son of Lotus founder Colin Chapman and Director of Classic Team Lotus. A number of VIPs were also part of the festivities, surrounded by the company?s latest line-up of cars as well its racing heritage, on the company?s stand at the Festival."

So under the radar it's not surprising it got missed!

[b]Second[/b] event, as noted in previous post, is that there will be a Lotus 70th Open Day at Hethel on Saturday 29th September 2018. Only notification I can find so far is: "We're also very pleased to announce that the Lotus Festival will be heading to Hethel this year on the 29th September where we'll be celebrating the Lotus 70th Anniversary, more details to follow!"

Now this is only two months away, so you don't have much time to get organised. I am writing to Andy Graham to see if we might get an Elan Only parking area. But I'm not holding my breath! I also hope that traffic management is better than it was at the 60th, when too many folk had to queue for ages on the dual carriageway to get in. Luckily I got there really early, beating the rush.

Lastly, tucked away on the Lotus Cars website, was the announcement that we could win a Jim Clark celebration Lotus Evora. Painted to match his Elan! Slightly ruined by this sentence, though: "Continuing a linage of lightweight car design, that can trace its roots back to Clark?s 1960?s Elan S2 and beyond, the development of the Evora GT410 Sport allowed Lotus the opportunity to optimise mass, resulting in a lightest possible dry weight of just 1,256 kg."

Mmmm. More details are here: http://www.lotuscars.com/news/corporate ... ival-speed

I'm intending to go and I hope many of you who can will also.

Tim
Attachments
2018-70th-lotus-evora-gt410-sport-for-jim-clark-trust.jpg and
70th-lotus-celebration-goodwwod-festival-of-speed-2018-duke-of-richmond-ceo-feng-quinfeng-and-clive-chapman.jpg and
Last edited by trw99 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:05 am

there is a Lotus Festival happening on the 29th September at the factory.......

details to follow..... :D
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:50 am

theelanman wrote:there is a Lotus Festival happening on the 29th September at the factory.......

details to follow..... :D

Did you not read the 2nd half of Tim's post?....
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:41 pm

yep....
but I just thought is got lost in the stuff thats already happened......and a raffle.....
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 pm

TheLotusForums site (generally populated by owners of moderns) are organising block booking of hotels for the Friday night.

I think they will all fill up quite quickly. It seems that owners can apply for tickets, to allow access, with a park and ride scheme for non owners.

Watch this space.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:33 am

Parking for Lotus cars only at the Hethel factory for the 70th Anniversary. Anyone in a 'non Lotus' will use a 'park and ride' which is being organised. I understand there will be some action on the track and attendees will be able to walk across the road to view Classic Team Lotus also.
It's going to be a good day !
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: