Mechanic in southern California

PostPost by: GingerClark » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Can anyone recommend a Lotus mechanic in southern California who can work on my Elans? All suggestions will be very welcome.
Thank you!
Ginger Clark
'69 blue Elan
'69 yellow Elan
GingerClark
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Where are you in souther california?
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GingerClark » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi James,
Good question.
I'm in Palos Verdes (los angeles area)
Ginger
GingerClark
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:52 pm

GingerClark,

There is a well know fellow in San Diego.............that may too far south. Send a PM if you need his info.
I would think there is someone in L.A that knows what's what.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:05 am

Hello Ginger,
Where have you been with two Elans? Check with Jay or Jeff at JAE in Southern CA. They may have the information you are looking for.
805-967-5767
http://www.jaeparts.com/
A little more on your Elans, Photos etc.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GingerClark » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:37 am

There is a well know fellow in San Diego.............that may too far south. Send a PM if you need his info.
I would think there is someone in L.A that knows what's what.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Is that Slossnagel? (spelling apologies), I think you're correct that he's probably too far south for me. But, thank you for mentioning him. He'd be a good person to keep in mind and I'd forgotten. However, if I guessed the wrong person, and you have someone else in mind in San Diego, do let me know.
Thanks
Ginger
GingerClark
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: GingerClark » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:40 am

Hello Ginger,
Check with Jay or Jeff at JAE in Southern CA.
Sarto

Hi Sarto, Thank you for the suggestion. JAE is in Goleta and they're too far north for me. But, you're right, they may have some names. I'll check with them.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Ginger
GingerClark
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: lotusS2guy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Ginger
Glad to see you on the list. It's been a long time......

I have a guy in Huntington Beach who is a really good and reasonable foreign car general mechanic. He works on my Jag and has never tried to sell me a service I did not need (unlike others who take the opportunity of having your car on the lift to drill into your bank account). :shock: PM me for more information.

I would also highly recommend Frank Monise Jr. His dad used to have the shop in Pasadena and raced a Lotus 23. Frank Jr has moved the shop to Montclair which may be a bit of a ride for you. They have been in the British sports car business for over 60 years so they have probably seen every Lucas, Smiths, etc. problem.

Best regards
Herb Berkwits
26/4618
Herb
26/4618
lotusS2guy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:46 am

lotusS2guy wrote:Ginger
Glad to see you on the list. It's been a long time......

I have a guy in Huntington Beach who is a really good and reasonable foreign car general mechanic. He works on my Jag and has never tried to sell me a service I did not need (unlike others who take the opportunity of having your car on the lift to drill into your bank account). :shock: PM me for more information.

I would also highly recommend Frank Monise Jr. His dad used to have the shop in Pasadena and raced a Lotus 23. Frank Jr has moved the shop to Montclair which may be a bit of a ride for you. They have been in the British sports car business for over 60 years so they have probably seen every Lucas, Smiths, etc. problem.

Best regards
Herb Berkwits
26/4618

Another thumbs up for Frank Monise Jr. He and his dad serviced our neighbor Evelyn's Elan S2 from new until she passed 8 years ago.

John Kouba is in Chatsworth at Lotus Racing West.

Regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GingerClark » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:37 am

StressCraxx wrote:
lotusS2guy wrote:Ginger

John Kouba is in Chatsworth at Lotus Racing West.

Regards,
Dan Wise

Hi Dan,
John Kouba, There's another name from the past. I thought for sure he'd retired.
Thank you for the recommendations.
Ginger
GingerClark
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:38 am

I am not sure if John Kouba has retired or not (although I sometimes see him selling some stuff on Ebay).

Quite a number of years ago he changed the name of his operation to Hethel Engineering.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dskir » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Looking for a GOOD Lotus mechanic in Southbay area of Los Angeles. General maintenance, oil changes, tune ups Webber knowledge and possible engine rebuild sometime down the road. Too many body (mine) parts hurt these days.

Thanks,
Paul
dskir
New-tral

PostPost by: jimhawley9 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:06 am

Hi Ginger,
You still have it! Did you make a better home for the battery?
I always took your car (the yellow one) to John Kouba. I would use the bus to & from LAX to the airport near Chatsworth, where John would give me a ride. Not as easy from P. V.
I have your name and John's on a slip of paper right in front of me as I type. I put in John Kouba, and there you were. I just wanted to look back to some of my happy past after the misery of the COVID. Perhaps I'll get back in a year or so, for the first time in a long time.
I want it back, of course. I have a 1999 Miata which has been worked on a bit and runs very well. It lives in Michigan, where I live each summer. It is not, however, and never will be an Elan. Ken Purdy wrote that every young man should own an Elan once. He didn't warn me that it would spoil me for any other car.
Contact info: [email protected] 502-822-1582 or 502-533-9792 (esp in summer).
I remember John and Rod Bean and Larry Lim and Paul ??? (in the valley) with great fondness. It was the best part of my life.
May you live forever and drive an Elan all the way. My best to you!
Jim Hawley
jimhawley9
New-tral

Total Online: