MOT statistics

PostPost by: Higs » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:15 am

I am not sure if this has been linked before, but here are the MOT stats for 2007:

http://www.prosol.co.uk/mot_test_results/

Shows that 224 elans got an MOT - not that many!

Must be a lot more like mine "resting" in garages...(or is that "between MOTs"?)
Higs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:37 pm

Higs, interesting way of getting some data.

Looking at the stats, Lotus Elans (classics) must be well prepared or maintained as the MOT failure rate is relatively low compared to other classics (eg Ford Capri) or something made of fibreglass and around the same age (Reliant Simitar).

The Reliant seems to suffer badly in its lighting (earths?) whilst the brake failures feature heavily for the Elan. Could this be the handbrake? or siezed calipers on cars not doing very high mileages?

If you have time on your hands, it's also interesting to pick a modern (Mondeo) and see how the failures start rising rapidly around 5 years, then drop off after 10. Maybe once the car gets that old, the problems have mostly been sorted?

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Higs » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:38 am

Guys - sorry to repeat a post - I should have searched better.
Higs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:41 pm

In case anyone isn't aware, it is worth letting the tester know how much the cars weigh as even a chap I know who is also into old cars guessed mine would be 1,000kg I think this can make a difference - certainly get high % efficiencies (even from the handbrake which I haven't had a problem with for 13 years - maybe using it helps!)

Cheers,

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:11 am

My local MoT garage has a chart showing car weights for the brake efficiency calculations. Guessing just isn't good enough... :?
I find the +2 marginal on the handbrake test - same braking components as the Elan but on a heavier car. Worn pivot pins don't help either :roll: , but a couple of spare wheels in the boot does... :lol:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:43 am

My plus 2 handbrake will lock up the wheels,isnt that generally the case? If so then surely that is a pass?

Ian
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:44 pm

In my experience, not necessarily... :?
If the braking force indicated on the test machine is not sufficient it will not pass, even if the wheels lock. That is why it can help to add weight (in the boot, or a mechanic leaning on the car!) to avoid 'premature lock-up' which reduces the indicated force. Apparently, there is a similar problem with old Fiestas - too light at the back. At my local garage, if they cannot get the required braking force they tell me they use an on-board decceleration (Tapley) meter on a road test instead...

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Just had mine tested,was booked in for yesterday but the electrical gremlins got me (efi)...anyway it passed with flying colours with braking figures of Front 200,Rear 150 and Handbrake of 120 (with the ABS switched off)...even Paul (the tester) commented on how good it was....failed last year due to TOTALLY INOPERATIVE HANDBRAKE :oops: ....even though I adjusted it pre MOT :roll: ....Anyone know the relevant figures for the Plus2 (Kerbweight 2086 lbs/946 Kgs)..

John :wink:

P.S. anyone out there got 50/0819 or 50/0813?as maybe we could swap MOT's :?:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: