Not An Elan, But...

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 am

A couple more pictures because I took them, The 23 is one of my favorite designs and I know how much Roy and Mike like them too.
23.JPG and

But this is one of my top two lusting rolling art forms (the other being the Lotus mkIX). This has to be one of the all time coos for Eric Broadly to come along and steal that bacon off of Colin's plate and Colin really couldn't come back with a winner is saying a lot and Eric deserves a lot of credit for pulling this one out of his hat and to parlay it into what he did. It just screams Yee Haa!
Lola mk1.JPG and

So thats the end of the show for now, 3 cups of coffee, three chocolate chip cookies, a quart of water and one aspirin and 3 hours later my caffeine deprivation headache is nearly gone and it's time to get another coffee to see if I can eliminate it entirely.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:07 am

Interesting photos and thanks for posting Gary. You must have had a pretty good day.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:17 am

piss-ant wrote:This Aston Martin body draws my attention so I got a couple photos, can anyone tell me what it is?

I'm guessing a DB3 variant but the shark-gill side vents have me totally confused. :?
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:An interesting write-up on the GKN...

http://47d.org/47d/might.html

Mark

Hi Mark

Thats site is the owners I believe.
oh ya - photos of GKN47D on page 2 :D
Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Oops, Gary, I missed your posting.....

What a thrill to find GKN 47D sitting a few miles from where I work. To say that any young Lotus fan lusted after this car to an unhealthy degree back in '60s is a serious understatement! I never laid eyes on it in the UK during those years, so to find it in the USA was strange indeed.

It sounded glorious and everything that I touched during my all too brief fiddling in the driver's seat seemed to work. I'd forgotten how small a Europa cabin is. Wow. Perhaps age makes them smaller? ;-)

Nick
Last edited by elanner on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:18 pm

HOE 1D has a ford 302 V8 I believe and you probably saw it at Mallory Park as the owner is an instructor there
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:46 am

I bought some Klipsch speaker parts from a friend on Sunday and he gave some other tweeters to try. He emailed me that some one had emailed him to buy them so I took a ride in the S2 Elan to meet him down in Kingston.
Lake Shore Drive1.JPG and

I left a bit early and dropped in on Bill Fortini to get some pictures, he had just bonded the windscreen in a few hours before and I think he will be lowering it to the ground soon. I wanted to get some pictures before that so here they are.

New Screen bonded in.
type 62 clone2.JPG and

Right Rear seems to be all business.
type 62 clone1.JPG and

Flat under it, a couple of studs hanging down for the seat attachment bolts.
type 62 clone3.JPG and

Drivers opening looks just large enough to crawl in through.
type 62 clone4.JPG and

Left rear view
type 62 clone5.JPG and

Right side of Duratec 2.3L engine, I bought this engine in 2002 for an Elan but at 27.5 inches tall it was going to be a challenge to stuff it into the S2 without it costing me more than a Large displacement Twin Cam (just ask Alan).
type 62 clone6.JPG and

When Bill started this project it was available so he bought it. This was a new engine complete with the red tag from Ford, rejected and sold off to a reseller and I think I paid $550 for it, I think Bill gave me the same. Its been pretty well gutted and rebuilt since.
Left side of engine
type 62 clone7.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:47 am

Miata front spindles, ventilated rotors, and 4 piston calipers
type 62 clone8.JPG and

Interior, pedals and dash.
type 62 clone9.JPG and

Type 23 replica uprights in the rear with a 5 link, tank adapter plate installed while I was taking photos.
type 62 clone10.JPG and

Davies-Craig EWP does the coolant circulating.
type 62 clone11.JPG and

Fire system and MBE 967E Fuel injection management is right there
type 62 clone12.JPG and

Battery seems to be handy and correctly placed to me.
type 62 clone13.JPG and

View from above the left rear suspension, rod ends outboard and urethane inboard, design ride height is 3 inches, it won't be seeing a lot of street time but should be fun.
type 62 clone14.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:25 am

Nice. I guess there will be no room for passengers then...

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Robbie693 wrote:Nice. I guess there will be no room for passengers then...

Robbie

I saw two seats, What makes you think that there is not room? :?

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:14 pm

The type 62 evocation looks amazing Gary, that's the sort of stuff to go in the big magazines to inspire people. I start getting daydreams about what it might be possible to do with a hybrid Elan / +2 chassis and a bespoke shapecraft body when I look at stuff like this.

Reference your comment about the engine, I'm very happy with the 2:0 Duratec in my Elan, it cost loads to make it fit with all sorts of cam covers, sumps and remote this and that, but the 2.3 wouldn't fit without a bulge in the bonnet whatever was done so it was no go.

Keep up the good work with all the interesting stuff, it's much appreciated this end.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 am

piss-ant wrote:
Robbie693 wrote:Nice. I guess there will be no room for passengers then...

Robbie

I saw two seats, What makes you think that there is not room? :?

Gary

I figured the vertical brace from roof to footwell would preclude a passenger, however looking at it again on a better monitor I see it is more to the centre than I initially thought. Still looks like a great place to bang your head though!

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ripley » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Galwaylotus wrote:This Aston Martin body draws my attention so I got a couple photos, can anyone tell me what it is?

Gary, it's one of a very few Aston Martin DB 3S Coup?'s. Once I've seen a black one racing at SPA.
Fred
Attachments
Aston_Martin_Db3_4.jpg and
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Galwaylotus actually wrote, "I'm guessing a DB3 variant but the shark-gill side vents have me totally confused." It was Gary who posed the original question. 8) btw what is SPA? Do you mean Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium?
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: torquespeak » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:54 am

Hi all, I'm hunting for information on 'GKN 47D'. Does anyone know its current whereabouts? Would love to be put in touch with the current owner.

-Ed
torquespeak
New-tral

PreviousNext

Total Online: