Off topic- but Lotus related

PostPost by: Type28 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:53 am

Hi folks,

I am in the last stages of completing my Lotus Racing Services Thames 400e Van. The finished van will, I think, stand or fall on the quality of the finished sign writing. The lettering is straight forward, but the Logo on the door not so. I was hoping maybe someone would have a computer file with the design of logo on the door in the picture below. The sign writer could then use that as s template? Or do you think that a good sign writer should be able to do the logo from a good picture? The logo is on both front doors and both rear doors.

Below is picture of the van as is- well its a bit more complete since that picture- and should be complete in the next few weeks, if I keep motivated!

[Image
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:13 pm

interesting indeed......
the text font is always a talking point........
I see from the pic it has what one might describe as the later font....ie not as the font of the nose badge of the day.....
mmmm....interesting.......

anyway brilliant stuff......looks awesome.....

oh and I would have thought any sign writer worth his salt should be able to do it.....
I suppose if you went down the 'print' route then you may aswell get one done as a 'sticker'/'decal'
just a thought.....
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Have you seen Paul Matty's van:

PaulMatty_ThamesVan_032014.JPG and

He was chuffed with it last (2013) summer.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: karenhenry04 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:44 am

Great Pics of Lotus....
I am new here curious to know more about this :)
karenhenry04
New-tral

PostPost by: Type28 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:32 pm

My van is now finished and run in - I took a drive down to the Jim Clark room last night.

Whilst I was there I had a look around the back of the building to see if there were any Sun Visors for a 1972 Lotus Elan DHC lying about- There were none ( see my wanted add! :D )- I can keep this up for a long time- I will ware someone down into selling me a pair :D

Cheers

George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:21 pm

On the assumption that you have done as thorough a mechanical rebuild as you have the bodywork and that the engine, drve train, suspenson and brakes are as were in period (probably a lot better maintained) I would be very interested to hear your views on how it drives given that you have experienced modern vehicles.

It looks superb and good on you!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:03 pm

I am not sure why the pictures I am posting seem to be trimmed? The Jim Clark sign and the rest of the building is missing?

The van drives well considering its age. once you get used to sitting over the front wheels it is easy to streer, corner etc. the engine is 1700cc through a three speed colum change, it is happy going along at between 50-60 mph, it pulls up hill ok. The brakes are the most challenging aspect of the drive- there is no weight over the back wheels and the wheels like to lock up if you are caught out and have to brake harder than normal- an emergency stop would lock them straight away. Wet gradients are also a challenge as the rear wheels just spin- there is no grip. The van would not be practical as any every day vehicle in modern traffic. I did it as a bit of fun and will mostly exibit it as shows, but I do like to drive my old vehicles no matter what they are.
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:16 pm

That looks absolutely gorgeous George.
Here's an old photo from a magazine in 1961 showing an Elite just being delivered in component form to it's lucky new owner! The van has the Lotus Cars livery, and of course the roof rack.

The photo you're posting is too large for a direct post from photobucket etc., as I guess the website is sized for those pesky mobile phones. But if you use the 'Upload Attachment' method, and pick the file up directly from your device, it will automatically size it correctly.

Mark
Attachments
620100 Sporting Motorist 3aa.jpg and
z002_zpsi5u6jkic.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Thames_400E_mit_Lotus_Rennwagen_2 (2).jpg and
Hi,
You guys are probably aware of this one, clearly Lotus had some sort of discount from Ford.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:10 pm

Thanks for resizing my picture Mark. I have a NOS Ford roof rack as per the super picture you posted. Unfortunately my van doesn't fit in the garage with it fitted :?
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:53 pm

1700cc, was it a Zephyr engine?

As a one time owner of a string of VW bedbugs I love the feeling of the steered wheels being behind (or at least underneath) the driver, gives great visibilty as well.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Very nice !
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kiwielan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:57 am

Hi George,

I am a long time missing in action from this forum. I too am restoring a Thames van in Team Lotus colours. You wetre looking for help with a template for the sign writing. If yiu still need such a thing I can assist.

Do you still have the roof rack for your van? If it is exactly the same as the van in the black and white photo then I would be interested in buying it.

Ray Edwards
New Zealand
kiwielan
New-tral

Total Online: