Painting the elan

PostPost by: PeterG » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:01 am

Hi just been for a quote to our local paint shop to get the lower half of the sprint and stripes re done in white and under the bumpers too. Couple of questions;

How hard are the doors to take off and refit?
Would you even take the doors off?
When it was painted last time the doors were left on but on the inside its not a great job.
I'm going to get underneath the bumpers done to and have been quoted 26 hours @ ?788.
I will need to take the exhaust silencer off to get underneath done properly tbh.
Has anyone had theirs re painted on their elan and at what cost and where?
Quality of the job?
Any information appreciated.
Regards Pete.
PeterG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:55 pm

PeterG wrote:How hard are the doors to take off and refit?

Quite easy but they're heavy so be prepared. Unplug the wires, undo the lock nut for the upper pivot
ball / hinge and unscrew the pivot ball / hinge almost all the way. The door will fall outward so its best
to have a second person there to catch it. Might have to pull it rearward a bit.

This way, the door stays in adjustment.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:02 pm

lotus-chassis-f36/elan-door-removal-don-mess-with-the-inch-bolts-t19282.html

This post will tell you all you need to know to remove doors without messing with the fit. If you mess up and destroy the nylon pivot ball, you can order new ones. I would probably just get new ones now, as they are very easy to strip.

Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PeterG » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:36 am

collins_dan wrote:http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-chassis-f36/elan-door-removal-don-mess-with-the-inch-bolts-t19282.html

This post will tell you all you need to know to remove doors without messing with the fit. If you mess up and destroy the nylon pivot ball, you can order new ones. I would probably just get new ones now, as they are very easy to strip.

Dan

Hi Dan,Thankyou for that, excellent post it's exactly what I needed.
Regards pete.
PeterG
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: