Polishing Bodywork

PostPost by: William2 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:37 pm

My car has been resprayed using synthetic paint followed by several coats of lacquer. Should I protect the lacquer with a coat of polish or is this unnecessary? If polish is a good idea, what recommendations does anyone have? Thank you for any advice.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:32 pm

Go get the car detailed PROPERLY then get it Nanolex coated the new HD stuff good for 4 years. Ask me how I know2.....
Attachments
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:10 pm

Polish will essentially cut it back slightly , when on a perfect finish already you are looking to protect it. You need to wax it.
My basic understanding:
Basically these are split into carnuaba containing and sealant types. The sealant types might last a fraction longer but aren't as shiny and the proper ones set like concrete so it makes DIY a bit hazardous.
In an ideal situation I suppose getting a sealant ( I like the look of Gtechniq ) professionally applied and then using carnuaba waxes over the top as the sacrificial top coat may be the way to go.
Personally I've never had a perfect substrate to work on so have just used carnuaba containing waxes. My present favourite is Swiss wax Best in show.
The whole thing is a minefield but if you pay several thousand for the paint, a few hundred for professional detailing is not much.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: