Pre-purchase Inspection

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Greetings as a newish member.

I previously owned a 69 +2 before moving to the USA in the 80s (RTV384G) and am now in a position to acquire its replacement. I am looking at a couple of +2s that are currently for sale and have been searching the forum for recommendations on individuals/businesses for pre-purchase inspections. The suggestions are few and aged and many of the internet searches are vague as to their Lotus qualifications.
Does anybody on the forum have a company that they have used in the recent past that has shown a reassuring level of competence? Whole UK coverage would be helpful as I imagine that I will have to look at a couple before the right one is found.

In case someone has one that they know is coming up, this is what I am looking to export:
Red, RHD, with early model interior (if possible), Sunroof, 4 speed, galvanized chassis, clean interior, Weber/Dellorto head, Doesn't need to be concours quality as I intend to drive it. Everything needs to work, not looking for a "project". Good service history.

Thanks very much for any help.

Nick
Omaha NE
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Welcome Nick from a fellow Plus 2 guy! Got fingers crossed for you to find the right car!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:22 am

I don't really understand why you wouldn't buy a car from within the States. You remember the UK weather - always hissing it down, cold wet a magnet for rusty chassis and other bits too like sill members. Surely the advantages of buying over there could yield you a few advantages - probably 30% cheaper to buy the same quality car, much lower shipping cost, it might not be rusty depending on where you get it from and it will already be LHD. On the face of it you'd get a much better deal for your money there.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:51 am

elanfan1 wrote:I don't really understand why you wouldn't buy a car from within the States. You remember the UK weather - always hissing it down, cold wet a magnet for rusty chassis and other bits too like sill members. Surely the advantages of buying over there could yield you a few advantages - probably 30% cheaper to buy the same quality car, much lower shipping cost, it might not be rusty depending on where you get it from and it will already be LHD. On the face of it you'd get a much better deal for your money there.

On the face of it you are right but it very difficult to buy a +2 in the US! Your lucky to find one decent car for sale in the whole NA at a time, let alone having a few to choose from.

So if you want a specific car you need to be very patient or buy in the UK.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:02 am

I would love to find one in the USA.
Take a look at eBay USA there is one in Memphis - a green one $21000 and one in New York a red one $23000 and then one on hemmings in Houston - a green one at $37500.

At 1.30/1.00 and shipping around $4k, the U.K. Market looks pretty good if you want a Weber head,black interior, sun roof and most of the work done.

Any suggestions on good cars and a good inspector and I would be grateful.

Thabks for the comments, I have been a regular poster on mgexperience.com (1967 MGB GT V8) and swedespeed.com (V70R) over the years and really enjoy the forum community experience.
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:44 am

nwbaxter66 wrote:I would love to find one in the USA.
Take a look at eBay USA there is one in Memphis - a green one $21000 and one in New York a red one $23000 and then one on hemmings in Houston - a green one at $37500.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Holy crap! I had no idea they were asking so much over here! So much for the Plus 2 being an underdog! :shock: :shock: :shock:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:03 am

Happy to help out increasing people's awareness of their net worth ...of course these are asking prices and I have yet to see one sell
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rich135 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:38 am

Sorry Nick, I don't know of anyone that does this kind of service in the Lotus world (I do for Porsche but that's not much help!).

If any cars are in the Surrey or Oxford area I would be happy to help out with a viewing, as I am a fussy bugger and looked at a few before I found my +2, but you would still need to arrange a proper mechanical check with a local garage or similar after that. It would save you wasting time have inspections on cars that looked good in pictures but are rubbish as soon as you see them.

Cheers

Rich
Rich135
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:06 pm

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-lotus-elan-2/

Buy Ross' and build it exactly to your spec.

You could source a great engine for it from John McCoy.

https://omnitech-engineering.com/catego ... parts-sale

Dashes are easy to source.

Just a crazy thought.
Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:35 am

Have touched base with a couple of inspectors I found on the internet.
Looks like I am going to try http://www.classicassessments.com/cars.htm. Brian Page is the guys name around 300 pounds plus travel costs.

I will let people know how it goes.

Dan - re the Colorado frame, not a bad idea and its close to me, I will give it some thought.

Thanks
N
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:33 am

Is there anybody on the forum close to Memphis TN?
I am taking a second look at the +2s available in the States.
Thx
N
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:45 am

Whoa, and that green Houston car on Hemmings . . . it's pretty rough considering the asking price. Only a fresh, complete and stock restoration would command those dollars currently.

Just sayin' . . .

This is the reason I'm building one; pretty much the only way to get it the way you want. On the other hand, you said you're not that fussy; just want a solid driver.

Best of luck, keep us updated . . . happy to do inspections for you in my neck of the woods :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:05 am

Totally agree with you.
I will not be buying the Houston one- originally it was yellow and it us really looking in need of TLC
N
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm

I would go with a Lotus enthusiast with credentials on the forum over a service. For example, in the Northeast I'd dig up Gary Anderson who has forgotten more about Elans and Lotuses in general than I ever knew. On the other hand, a +2 is the one Lotus carcass I've never seen in his yard or storage trailer.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Well subject to inspection 50/1348 will be traveling to Nebraska.
It's not the one that I sold in 1986 but so close one could not tell them apart and it was first delivered to an owner in my original home town of Wolverhampton - Attwood Garages. So I could probably find the original owner.
Car is in Hampshire near Southampton, is their a forum member close who might be able to help out?
Thanks for all the help so far!
N
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: