signing out, unless i can make a comment

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:10 pm

whatever i add is evidently of no interest and on the other side this forum is more a: how do i change my plugs vs how can i make an elan the way colin would have. i worked in racing for 30 years, MY elan is a street legal racing car and all the other bs is just nice to record, or not c ya sandy ill comment when necessary
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:17 pm

Interesting...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:26 am

john.p.clegg wrote:Interesting...

John :wink:

But not very. :D
Shame, really.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:16 am

Hi Sandy
It takes many different people to make a forum and we all have different passions. I share many of yours in terms of enjoying the street racer nature of Lotus and also i enjoy wines. I have been interested in the discussion on another thread on how the Elans that get the big money are factory originals or perfect restorations. Personally I like neither as they both depreciate and cost big money if you use them and Lotus are for using --- once they become an investment I believe you have lost the point. I would buy a good used lotus that is sound mechanically and has a patina of use so your not scared to take it out and give it a blast anytime in any weather.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Amen. Let's face it, they are just cars. When the bumps and bruises get to the point you can't stand them, fix them and continue to enjoy the car. On a past tour, we encountered a very rough dirt road. We were questioning if it was worth it to take that route or find a bypass. A recently restored Alfa Sprint Special pulled up, hesitated, and started to enter the road. He was asked if he was in his right mind, taking that beautiful car on such a rough road. His response was,"It's just a @#%*$^! car". Kind of put things in perspective.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:30 pm

I don't understand what it is that the rest of us are not interested in. Surely there is room for many different types of Elan ownership, and particularly from someone with knowledge and experience such as yours.

I have two old car friends one is an originality enthusiast the other likes to "improve/alter" his car. Effectively they can hardly speak to one another. Hopefully we Elan enthusiasts can accept that we have differing views without falling out.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:52 pm

in agreement richard ------- elans and sevens etc. are delivered as MODEL basic: colin was creative we have to follow the path ----- he was lookin for weight, aerodynamics, avant garde solutions and the elan turned out to be a very fast SALOON CAR - i'd also love to have the only real competitor alfa junior gta 1600 (autodelta ally everything: pricetag 150000? - i suppose sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andrewk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:48 am

Oh, really? I always thought that this forum was about sharing views. Sometimes people don't agree and that's fine. No need to blow a fuse.
andrewk
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:52 am

I've always enjoyed your posts Sandy.

And I do like the mix of different opinions and perspectives, and just the mix of personalities here.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:10 pm

have u been drinking ?? Whatever it is can you share it please :lol:
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:56 pm

Wha Wha Wha!

But you are leaving one of the best, if not the best and useful forums that I have had the pleasure to belong to.

Its a car Forum, not Dear Abbey, So its 'Hi' or 'See-Ya!'

But just do either and lets move on...
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:38 pm

?

Not sure what your beef is, Sandy.

Modders like yourself and me will always be in a minority on a Lotus Elan forum. There were so few made that they are cherished by many and what we do is an anathema to them.

However, as said earlier, it is only a car, and a car made up from parts sourced from other manufacturers to boot.

Colin saw them solely as a way of funding his racing habit and wouldn't have given a toss what was done with them once they left the factory and he had been paid.

However, I tip my hat to people who spend their time building or maintaining their car to and beyond factory spec (whatever that happens to be as the spec was what was in the parts bin at the time :-) )

If we were all the same these forums would be very dull places.

Please stay as there are few of us as it is :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: