The collection grows.

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Here we go again!

My wife, a farmer's daughter, didn't mince her words. "What's that heap of sh#ite?!"
img_3172.jpg and

img_3174.jpg and

Pete

1970 S4
1971 Else Europa S2
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:39 pm

:mrgreen:
nice.....
that looks like a perfectly good Europa to me....and an S2 to boot......(my favourite version)
if your rebuilding the pedal box see if you cant space the pedals a bit further apart.....I could get all three pedal with one foot......lol
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks! At least you appreciate it!

It's mostly all there. Just the bumpers are missing. Ironically, I sold the +2 bumper I had left over :roll: . Got some coming though.

The interior is in great condition and, although it doesn't look like it, the body is in good condition too.

I'm looking forward to the "journey".

Pete
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:55 pm

There's a front bumper currently for sale on this forum.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: danielmo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Congrats. Looks like a Type 54. The front shot makes the nose look a little wonky. Hopefully just the lens distorting.
danielmo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:54 pm

All the way from Bromsgrove. I see Matty had it up for sale.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Have you got all the other goodies an 'Else' Europa came with ?
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Provided you're not greater than a size 9, the pedal box should be fine. That is unless its different to the Twin Cam Special which I don't think it is. The cable clutch is not as nice to use as on the Elan or Plus Two but you won't notice the difference once you're on the move. Also, if the Special is anything to go by, get the gear linkage set up right and its a delight to use contrary to period road tester reports. The CV joints will make the take up feel more direct compared to the doughnuts on the Elan/Plus 2 and you can revel in the extra grip and even sharper handling afforded by the mid engine set up. Good luck with your project.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 pm

It's actually a type 65. It has a PR suffix to its unit number meaning it was originally a federal spec car that was converted on the production line to a U.K. destined car.

Yes, I spotted the bumper earlier today. Ironically it's located in Aberdeen where I'm from originally!

What else came with the Else? The Else cam cover, intake manifold with a 45 DCOE and the exhaust manifold. What camshaft it has is still a mystery, for now.

Pete
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 pm

True class, take the missus to spec savers
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 am

Congratulations on adding a Europa to your collection! I recently did the same and my wife just shook her head wondering if I had gone mad (maybe). I'm in the midst of a full restoration of my 72 Twin Cam Europa and it's already proving to be much more challenging than an Elan. The engineering is unique, to say the least. I'm fascinated by the gear shift mechanism and the function of them (or lack there of).

Never the less, it's a Lotus and I'm in deep :D
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:48 am

I'm reminded of the time I got the S4. My wife tried to get my mother on side. The conversation ran along the following lines:

Wife: "You won't believe what he's bought now!"
Mother: "Well, at least it's not another woman."
Wife: "Another woman would be cheaper!"

Looking at the gear linkage, I appear to be missing the very last part the connects to the gearbox. I think I can fabricate a new one as it doesn't look to complex. Even though the car itself is a very late model S2, it has the early gear linkage type. Ahh Lotus! You strike again.

Pete
Last edited by Bombay Racing Green on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:17 pm

i did the same thing once BUT i kept it secret: was a TC 5 gear europa: used the head on my elan; sold it later. the shifting is a mess: it takes two u-joints to get something MUCH better than the cheap lotus solution which sint properlay made for the renault gearbox!! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Do join the Europa group, they're very knowledgeable as are the Elan folks here.

There are improved linkages if necessary for the shifter, coming from more than one philosophy. As I recall, both RD (US) and Banks (UK) offer them. My 54 has minor modifications and shifts quite well, the only challenge (and the thing most hated in the day) is getting into reverse when you need to back up to make a quick 3-point turn (the Europa has a large turning circle.)

54's are easily sorted from 65's, the front fender (wing) line of the 65 is arrow-straight while the 54's have a graceful curve. The Feds fixed a headlight height that required this solution.

The good news is that you have a 1565 instead of a 1470, the head porting is different (as are the valves, the 1565 is a Renault "big valve".) Else or Hermes bolt-on mods to this engine will give you about the same power as a stock Twincam with a flatter torque curve (my dyno sheet shows about 110 at the flywheel on Hermes intake and exhaust). Absolute power goes to the Twink unless you switch to a Gordini head, and those are getting rarer. The stock Solex can deliver great fuel economy (above 40) but forget about power with it.

The Europa and Elan are very different cars to drive. I'll give handling refinement and comfort to the Elan, raw grip and intensity goes to the Europa (the air intake is a whole lot closer to your ears). And I believe the lighter S2 is the better one to have in your stable. So enjoy the journey!
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I have joined the Europa forum and it's nice to see a few familiar people on there. I take it that you have a single 45 DCOE for your Hermes manifold? Do you have any specs for the innards? Also, will a standard silencer work with the Hermes exhaust manifold? I only have the Else manifold with the car.

I'm just waiting to register it here in Ireland then it will be body off and work on the chassis. My kids adore it. Just have to convince the spousal unit....

Pete
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: