The Elan Cutaway Drawing

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:39 pm

I have a few copies of Elan cutaway drawings, which are not only artistically wonderful, but can be most useful too. One has to admire the drawing skills of these special artists.

I am going to post what I have on here and I wondered if anyone else has others they too would care to share with us. In particular, I have no +2 drawings, though some must exist.

The first one here is probably the best known, by James Allington and it was used by Lotus themselves.

Tim
Attachments
Cutaway James Allington.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:40 pm

This one is pretty cool, a S3 FHC by Jiro Yamada
Attachments
Cutaway Jiro Yamada.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:42 pm

I have no idea of the artist for this chassis, which again was used by the factory
Attachments
Cutaway by factory.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:45 pm

The final one I have is of a 26R. Not sure who the artist is but again it is a great drawing. Unfortunately the quality of my copy is not great.
Attachments
Cutaway 26R.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:47 pm

Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:13 pm

great !!
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:10 pm

trw99 wrote:The final one I have is of a 26R. Not sure who the artist is but again it is a great drawing. Unfortunately the quality of my copy is not great.

Yes, I bought a fairly large poster sized copy of that a Donington a few years ago.
Managed to get Ron Hickman & Graham Arnold to sign it on the same day.
Had it framed & hung it in my office at work but now its at the back my wardrobe until I can find a wall to hang it on.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:10 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:
trw99 wrote:The final one I have is of a 26R. Not sure who the artist is but again it is a great drawing. Unfortunately the quality of my copy is not great.

Yes, I bought a fairly large poster sized copy of that a Donington a few years ago.
Managed to get Ron Hickman & Graham Arnold to sign it on the same day.
Had it framed & hung it in my office at work but now its at the back my wardrobe until I can find a wall to hang it on.

Cheers
John

John,
If the guy who sold you the poster was a tall frenchman, then you buy it from the owner of the original car, now destroyed, but every one here known that it ll never die...
On its team(ATS), he also had a Spaceship 26R, a 23B and Cobra's , maybe some of you have pictures... Back to cutaway drawings,
If you want to make your own, just follow :
http://artisticars.over-blog.com/catego ... 28131.html
The #3/50 is on the wall.
One day , I ll show you my CAD version... started nearly 3 years ago on my left time, the ones who looked at it can't says if it is art or disease... They may be right as I am making it "nuts & bolts" without any scan. I know the car ll be false, it's symetrical!
To help for waiting:
26rcloseup1.jpg and

Christian. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Old English White on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:15 pm

Old English White wrote: John,
One day , I ll show you my CAD version... started nearly 3 years ago on my left time, the ones who looked at it can't says if it is art or disease... They may be right as I am making it "nuts & bolts" without any scan. I know the car ll be false, it's symetrical!
To help for waiting:

Christian, what software are you doing this in? I have access to Dassault Systemes' CATIA & would be interested in collaborating with you.

You can send e-mail to pph<at>lionheartsolutions.com
Regards
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:34 pm

I have a couple, I guess you know about the TI thread on TNF..

First one by Tony Lofthouse:
Attachments
autocarmotor3.jpg and
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Next one by Frank Munger:
Attachments
Fmunger.jpg and
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Finally a Plus 2 by the great Jim Allington:
Attachments
Elan+2 cutaway.jpg and
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:14 pm

There are a couple of cut-away drawings for sale on e-bay at the moment, I just noticed.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:48 pm

pharriso wrote:Christian, what software are you doing this in? I have access to Dassault Systemes' CATIA & would be interested in collaborating with you.

You can send e-mail to pph<at>lionheartsolutions.com
Regards

Hi pharriso,
My model is made with ICEMsurf, now a Dassault Systemes property.
They first wanted to merge both ICEMsurf and Catia, but get a nightmare in terms of ergonomy...
About collaboration; Well, from the begining, this was a matter of personnal practice and curiosity ... Only.
I have to say that the shape of the Elan is as dificult to built as it is simple.
The model is more advanced than the posted printscreen... The head is now complete with its 40 Weber's, cork gasket, Lotus logo's, breather, etc...
I even ad different versions as , canopy/hardtop, 26R/hubcap wheels/knock'on standard wheels, 26R/popup headlights, etc... Last was a bit special, but too early to talk about.
Now, it is still a skill exercice, but the missing parts are becoming more boring to built...
I dream about a see thru stereolithographical model, 1/8 scale, maybe one day!
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:00 am

elansprint71 wrote:There are a couple of cut-away drawings for sale on e-bay at the moment, I just noticed.

I'd beware of those personally. Quite often they are just scans of old mags, in fact I have the mag (part work) that the Jim Allington colour Elan was taken from and it wasn't A3 at the time. Not to mention potential copyright infringements

Incidentally, the Allington cutaway was a painted in version of a black and white line drawing, produced some time later I was told, possibly of the one in the workshop manual?

Cheers

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: