The LED lighting thread

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:28 am

Whilst this could be considered a modification this is an important safety issue and with the ever improving technology I thought I'd start this thread to help those considering an LED conversion. So it would be helpful if this thread could be left in General discussions as a repository of all things LED rather than moved to mods.

There will be those that are just converting their rear lamps to those who are fitting LED headlamps or instrument lamps. Maybe here we could post up any knowledge of the range of bulb holder sizes/ reference numbers on the cars, experiences and photos or even videos of the lamps in use that show the increase in performance as well as any useful websites or retailers of these lamps. I know performance of different makes can vary wildly due to the number, colour and positioning of the actual LEDs on the actual the lamp unit itself.

Perhaps this thread could be used as collection point for advice, recommendations and experiences whether good or bad. Over to you!
Last edited by elanfan1 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:38 am

Please add your knowledge of bulb holder sizes ( requote or copy/paste your additions and old posts can be deleted)

Dashboard/Instrument lamps - BA9
Front white sidelights -
Amber indicators front and rear -
Red rear stop/tail lamps -
White reversing lamp -
Amber festoon lamp side repeaters -
White festoon interior lamps -
White headlamps -
White number plate lamps -
Any I've forgotten -
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:49 am

I was looking into this myself some years ago but I know things have moved on so those who perhaps have a more technical knowledge or real life experience please feel free to add to this thread.

It is my understanding that the coloured lenses on our cars filter white light and only allow the red or amber part of the spectrum through the lens so it follows that much of the white light is actually 'wasted'. Unless I've misunderstood it is therefore better to fit the appropriately colured LED in order to transmit/maximise a lot more of the light through the lens.

I further understand that an LED lamp lights up a lot quicker and with maybe 10% of the power requirement of a filament bulb. In respect of a stop lamp this could potentially buy you a lot more stopping distance from a vehicle behind you.

An LED lamp having a much lower power requirement to operate is more likely to remain operational if there is any power drain due to earthing issues??

Please discuss.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed May 24, 2017 10:48 am

An LED lamp having a much lower power requirement to operate is more likely to remain operational if there is any power drain due to earthing issues??

I suspect that low current devices are more prone to earthing problem, not less prone.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Wed May 24, 2017 11:23 am

Hi Bill,
From theory only, the current through an LED driven from a voltage source is controlled by a series resistor, usually a few hundred ohms. Unless your poor earth is of the same order I don?t think will make a significant difference in brightness.
FWIW
Ron.

int-led-vi.png
int-led-vi.png (6.77 KiB) Viewed 7094 times

led-output.png
led-output.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Wed May 24, 2017 11:40 am

It's been my experience that if your bulb holder has a good reflector there might be nothing to be gained by fitting LED's as far as brightness goes. The best arrangement would be a large panel of the individual LED's for maximum brilliance.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:21 pm

nomad wrote:It's been my experience that if your bulb holder has a good reflector there might be nothing to be gained by fitting LED's as far as brightness goes. The best arrangement would be a large panel of the individual LED's for maximum brilliance.

Kurt

Sorry Kurt but apart from having a cluster which I'm sure is correct a like for like replacement with LED should see a massive improvement - see this example:
image.jpeg and
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Wed May 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Steve, I made a comparison with one LED and one 1156 incandescent on my Midget and the old one won. A quick look at whats being sold now on E-bay shows some that have LED's on the sides as well as just facing back like the one's I tried so, yes, you may see a improvement but they are not all created equal. If they distribute the light in a similiar fashion to the incandescent so the reflector will work they ought to be fine. I am running a licence plate surround with red LED's wired into my brake circuit on my other cars. In effect a third brake light that works very well but there is no room for it on the Elan. The surround is from Summit racing if anyone is curious and only fits US plates.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed May 24, 2017 8:10 pm

I've fitted LED for my rear brake/side lights. Living in a an area with a lot of bright sun shine and pickup/SUV with bad drivers I thought the brighter the lights the better. I've also fitted a very bright 3rd brake light. I haven't changed any of the other bulbs for LED.

The specific bulbs I fitted where:
https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-AX-283 ... B00HJEGQQ2

In the picture one is LED and one is standard bulb. I think you can tell which is which. I am not 100% if they are just tail light or brake lights, as it was few years ago I took the picture.
Attachments
20141031_175142.jpg and
One LED, one normal.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed May 24, 2017 10:20 pm

I've put led into number plate lights and one of reversing lights.
Used relatively low output lamp for number plate.
Big output for lhs reverse light because I've put a red led in rhs reverse to make a rear fog light.
Here's a picture showing number plate lights and comparison of tungsten and lowish output led reverse - much cleaner light from led with no flare.
I'll take a photo of latest reverse and fog light tomorrow and post.
I'll also try to list the lamps I used
Attachments
dsc_0063_4.jpg and
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed May 24, 2017 11:09 pm

White for reversing
C5W CAR BULB LED ERROR FREE CANBUS 9SMD 5630 WHITE FESTOON NUMBER PLATE INTERIOR
5630 LED has very good specific output.

For Fog Light
2x Canbus Error Free 42MM 4 LED 5050 SMD Car Festoon Dome Interior Light RED 12V
As this light is active in traffic conditions it ought to meet C&U regs.
This lamp has very similar light output to 21w tungsten.

For number plate lights
6X 36MM CANBUS 3 SMD 5050 C5W LED Light NO ERROR Bulb License Plate Dome Festoon

These are text copies of well known auction site listings so should be easily enough found.

I've not bothered with side and stop tail because they are so cheap, festoons are a very different matter though and given that LED should last for ever the economics are very different.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu May 25, 2017 2:34 am

IMO garishly bright stop lights are most important to let the texting teen or soccer mom fighting with the kid know that you are slowing for a reason. Can't stand inattentive drivers right on my bumper!

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 25, 2017 7:03 am

mbell wrote:I've fitted LED for my rear brake/side lights. Living in a an area with a lot of bright sun shine and pickup/SUV with bad drivers I thought the brighter the lights the better. I've also fitted a very bright 3rd brake light. I haven't changed any of the other bulbs for LED.

The specific bulbs I fitted where:
https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-AX-283 ... B00HJEGQQ2

In the picture one is LED and one is standard bulb. I think you can tell which is which. I am not 100% if they are just tail light or brake lights, as it was few years ago I took the picture.

That's a big difference in output, I have just ordered some side lights and stop/tail lights on Ebay UK to test them out. The stop/tail lights are Red LED, the theory being that more of the light will penetrate the lenses. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152318094461? ... EBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152521973352? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu May 25, 2017 12:55 pm

In case some are unaware, additional resistance or a different flasher unit will be required on a flashing turn signal circuit when switching to LED's.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Thu May 25, 2017 3:45 pm

IIRC there may some issues with regards twin filament LED?s and the UK MOT, these clever LED lamp makers produce a single array of 21w and tap off to give the 5w. OK but that means in practice Max output being 21w, applying the brake at night only increases the output by 16w. It will be interesting to see if Alan?s appraisal includes this observation.
FWIW
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: