VIN Plate question (repro vs. original)

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:42 pm

lotus-chassis-f36/serial-number-plate-location-t37769.html#p260861

I posted the above comment under another thread in the Body / Chassis / Frame section of the forum, but wanted to post it as a stand alone to gather more attention to this important issue.

Please contribute your authoritative input.
Thanks!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:03 pm

no experienced/authoritative input guys?? :?:
TED
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:56 pm

Ted, I'm not entirely sure what it is that you are asking.

This is certainly not authoritative...
I have a replacement VIN plate for my +2. The original was very tatty with the corner holes barely there & it had also been coated in some kind of underseal / thick black paint. I still have the original, cleaned up enough to read the details if it needs to be inspected.
The replacement ( I think I got this from Paul Matty, but it was some years ago) came, hand etched (as per the original) to match the details on the V5 that I supplied.
Unfortunately, The VIN plate is very easy to swap. I'm not sure if it should be riveted or screwed in place [is there a definitive answer for an early +2 ?] and after chassis changes, repaints, etc it can be difficult to be sure of the history of a particular vehicle. I for one, think it a good idea to "mark" your car & parts where possible during a rebuild / restoration.
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:34 pm

I guess it's the "retired cop" in me still that has me very cautious.
I just bought another Elan DHC without a VIN plate. They provided a title with a strange VIN# recorded. The last six digits are typical of what i've seen each time consisting of "45" for the Lotus type and "8###" for the sequential number. There is also a "prefix" to this VIN as "LD468" which I have no idea what that means or refers to at all. Never seen anything like it before.

My main concern is that the title provided cannot be verified to belong to the car I bought without a VIN plate attached. I've been in contact with Lotus Archives and they have no record, not that the vehicle doesn't exist, but that Lotus records have lots of missing data due to a fire loss.

I've ordered a replacement VIN plate and will most likely "etch" the six digit as the vehicle identifier, however the title will still have those additional letter/number prefix. Not sure if that turns a future buyer away or not. Perhaps someone in Louisiana, USA (where this car was originally registered/titled and i have paperwork from 1974 showing that VIN number assigned) could share with me whether LA, USA does things differently than the rest of the states. Perhaps it was "L" for Lotus and 04 for April and 68 for year???

anyway, over its 47 year history, the VIN plate is missing and I can only hope it is not stolen and renumbered or some similar fate assigned. So hopefully you'll know my fear and concern about NOT HAVING A CORRELATION BETWEEN MY TITLE AND THE ACTUAL VEHICLE.
TED
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:18 am

"LD468" which I have no idea what that means or refers to at all

How clear is it written? Could the D be an R? LR468 would probably then refer to a Lotus Replacement chassis and its serial number.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:48 pm

the LD468 on paperwork goes back as far as 1973 when registered in Louisiana and Texas USA, so i don't think it was any other letters than LD.
thanks
TED
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Ted, it only takes a clerk in an office a moment to inadvertently jot down an incorrect digit and for that digit to pass into lore! Especially so the further back in time we peer.

The Lotus Replacement chassis were available from Lotus right from the start of Elan production. I do not know when they first got their own LR serial numbers. These were stamped onto the top flange of the left hand side, when viewed from the rear, of the main longitudinal chassis arm, immediately behind the front suspension turret.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:48 pm

i just looked (again) and very difficult to see that area since the body inner fender well and engine bay fiberglass body area covers (overlaps) that area. Even using a mirror, the brake lines also cover that area, but from what i could see, i did not make out any number/letter stampings. Assuming top of flange behind front suspension turret on driver's side (USA).
TED
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Might try looking a bit further back. I don't know if it's just a +2 thing, but mine is stamped behind the engine mount, about dead even with the engine/bell-housing split.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:57 am

Mine is in the same location as Bud's. Rather what is left of it. An over zealous application of a flame wrench, creating more than needed room for the exhaust header, rendered all but the last 3 digits melted/removed. The great unknowing also managed to cut through and seal the fuel tank vent line to the charcoal canister, which previously had been reconciled to the dust bin, and probably lead to the demise of the engine, via a total leaning out of the mixture. Sigh.......... Oh well, viva la Zetec.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: