What did you do to your Lotus today...

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 pm

If you catch the rusted turret problem before the geometry is distorted, you can repair it in-situ.

See: lotus-suspension-f42/how-repaired-rusty-front-suspension-turrets-t16727.html?hilit=turret
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:30 pm

I walked passed mine today, same as every day for passed year. Not constructive at all really
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 pm

No so much today as yesterday and it wasn't exactly ON the Lotus, but yesterday I sent off a suite of photos of my S3 coupe, (that I took in Alexander Palace Park last week) to my insurance broker for them to confirm my estimated fixed value.

They seem happy with the figure, so it is probably too low :D

ogu108e_farside.jpg and
My '67 Elan Oct 2018
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:59 pm

I read this forum. Can't do much else, as this week Mrs. Veg and I are on holiday 2400 miles from home. No, we didn't drive! :mrgreen:

Same story much of the time anyway, since my job requires lots of travel. When I can't actually work on the Lotus, I read this forum to learn what I can.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toggle45 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:33 pm

This month's project: re-veneered the original, but modified, dash. I'd never applied veneer before, and it was a bit fussy to get it done with a single sheet of veneer. No vacuum press, just plywood, sheets of foam rubber, screw clamps, and 200 lbs of rocks for good measure. Came out with wrinkles across the lower center first time, so used vinegar/water to soak it free, applied more Titebond, used the roller till my arm gave out, and tightened the screw clamps really tight. Second time was a charm. Decided to use up some of my supply of various walnut and mahogany stains to get a similar look to the original (over quarter-sawn sapele veneer). Then 4 coats of polyurethane.

Last eve installed re-worked dash to ensure new holes line up where they need to be (actually mainly to admire my handiwork ).

This week I will sort the dash loom and try to figure out proper ground points, install and wire new gauges, fit glove box, and screw down the speaker/demister grille atop the crash pad. Then it's on to fitting the seat-belts and re-carpeting.
Attachments
dashpic.jpeg and
Last edited by toggle45 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Weldon
the dreaded PO himself
toggle45
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:39 pm

billwill wrote:No so much today as yesterday and it wasn't exactly ON the Lotus, but yesterday I sent off a suite of photos of my S3 coupe, (that I took in Alexander Palace Park last week) to my insurance broker for them to confirm my estimated fixed value.

They seem happy with the figure, so it is probably too low :D

The attachment OGU108E_FarSide.jpg is no longer available

Isn't that your car lurking in the background? Points and prizes if you can remember where and when the photo was taken...the ruddy great aircraft in the background is a bit of a giveaway...
Attachments
pict0077.jpg and
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:15 pm

I took some bits for plating. By the time I got home, I was too tired to do much else.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:48 am

I reckon that was a very long time ago at the RAF museum ? in Hendon. There was a Lotus or Classic Car show and I remember that I won a prize.

Probably the only time I won a prize for my Lotus state.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But I am not sure that one is my car, in the photo it seems to have a black soft-top, but mine is a coupe so the top is yellow.

Interesting though, that car seems to be yellow over black, which I had thought was unique to my elan.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:03 am

Made a little more progress on adapting a Quaife quick-change gear lever to my Voight T-9 conversion gearbox. Photos in the reasonably near future.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:25 am

I replaced the inner rear A arm bushes with poly units I got from TTR.
At least I did the r/h side but that was after a struggle to get the rear pivot bolt out since I had installed it when the chassis was just sitting empty and I didn't realise that the diff unit prevents the bolt from sliding out forwards. Well, at least it tried to! I removed the torque rod and levered up on the diff and managed to slide the bolt out but...
I then discovered that the bushings I was replacing were special and in offset housings to increase rear negative camber-from the cars days as a successful racer. I hadn't noticed when I cleaned and painted the A arms during my rebuild.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:49 am

billwill wrote:I reckon that was a very long time ago at the RAF museum ? in Hendon. There was a Lotus or Classic Car show and I remember that I won a prize.

Probably the only time I won a prize for my Lotus state.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But I am not sure that one is my car, in the photo it seems to have a black soft-top, but mine is a coupe so the top is yellow.

Interesting though, that car seems to be yellow over black, which I had thought was unique to my elan.

You're right it is a dhc, my mistake. The photo was taken in 1985 at Hendon. I have a few more some where, I must dig them out.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi John, Just had a run out on this glorious afternoon. Pulls well for a car that's over 50.

img_0648.jpg and
I'm 51 you know.
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:01 pm

I took advantage of the fine weather and drove a hundred and thirty mile round trip to see my friend Mr. Bogg, he's a lovely fellow and at eighty-two he's as active as man half his age. The Yorkshire Wolds are beautiful at this time of year. Oh and the Sprint drives so much better after Dave worked his magic.
Attachments
acb3b3d4-9047-4b1e-aba6-ca88f4d4fd86.jpg and
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:04 pm

After over 7 years of a full nuts and bolts restoration and following a false start at the end of June, I finally drove the car 26 miles. :D

After my first set of nerves, got more confident and started to enjoy my first successful drive.

June was my first drive of only 4 miles, because when up to operating temperature I had a metallic clicking sound from No 3 cylinder and returned home.

Must admit I was paranoid that the noise was due to my engine being bored oversize + 0.060 inches, some years previous and that on reading Miles Wilkins book, which stated that an LB graded engine should be no greater than +0.040 Inches.
I ended up buying an ultrasonic measuring gauge and was most relieved that the measurements proved that the water jacket thickness was OK. Thanks to Rohan and others for their input.

Great day, great weather.
rear-view.jpg and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:42 pm

TeeJay wrote:
June was my first drive of only 4 miles, because when up to operating temperature I had a metallic clicking sound from No 3 cylinder and returned home.

So what had caused the horrible noise? Cam clearances?
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: