Lotus Elan

What did you do to your Lotus today...

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:25 pm

While the city was on fire yesterday, I managed to sneak out my white S4se from the painter after a bit of detailing (flattening and polishing a couple of orange peel areas) : quite pleased, remaining parts due in a week.

I still have some work ahead for reassembly (including chassis swap)...
Attachments
p1050347.jpg and
white elan from the painter
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:02 pm

I bonded the plastic chrome trim to my new Sundym top tint screen for my 130/5. A messy tricky job. I used yards of 4" tape but still not confident of the result. Tomorrow will be interesting!!
Mic
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:54 am

Took the car out for a run for two reasons:

1. Try to decide on fitting a 5-speed (Voigts) gearbox. Leaning this way as highway speeds are really not very comfortable at 4500 rpm (75 mph). (3.77 and wide, low profile tires). Might get in the Voights queue (and long wait and $$$) but want a modified 1st gear on the T9. Also, concerned about getting it to the US and any chassis mods (not clear to me from all the various old threads).

2. And to enjoy the beautiful December day before I start to decommission the car for its respray in January.

img_0717.jpg and
'69 Elan S4
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 am

Hit a small snag on my carburettor rebuild, so took the time to clean and part out my collection of unmatched Strombergs so I'd have a ready parts bin for the future.

20181202_204517.jpg and
SENC
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:51 pm

Left my S4 with a paint shop and discussed some details about door removal. They have painted a Europa, but no Elans, so the Elan doors will be different.

I'll be taking them diagrams and parts as things progress. It will probably be quite a while before I have to chose a color. Been thinking about Royal Blue or maybe white. I want something bright so other drivers can see the little Elan.
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:24 pm

lotocone wrote:Left my S4 with a paint shop and discussed some details about door removal. They have painted a Europa, but no Elans, so the Elan doors will be different.

I'll be taking them diagrams and parts as things progress. It will probably be quite a while before I have to chose a color. Been thinking about Royal Blue or maybe white. I want something bright so other drivers can see the little Elan.

That's why the top half of mine is bright yellow! :shock:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:58 pm

I once saw an ambulance going slowly down the road, lights flashing, hi-lo siren on. Cars were pulling over left and right except one Gent toodling along just ahead of the ambulance. Finally the loudspeaker blared,
"THEY'RE PULLING OVER FOR US NOT YOU!"
I don't understand the current fashion for road-colored cars but people have to look before they can see any color.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Bill,

My car is also bright yellow. After decades of yellow, I thought I'd make a change to something else that is bright.
Colorado Orange is another possibility. I also have some fiberglass damage at the front of the car that needs to be repaired.

USA64,

That's a funny story about the guy driving ahead of ambulance. I don't care for most new car colors much either. Dodge has some nice bright colors on the Challenger. One them is called White Knuckle. :)
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JohnCh » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:00 am

Given my car came without a jack, I decided to ditch the spare tire and replace it with a small air compressor and Slime tire sealant for tube-type tires (XAS FF go on later this week). To keep those items from moving around when underway and to offset the cabin noise increase resulting from removing the spare, the spare tire well was filled with 3 layers of 2-1/4” foam and voids were cut to tightly hold those parts in place. A void was also cut for a tool roll since...well, it's a Lotus and I might need tools to get home. Net savings sans tool roll is over 24 lb, and everything is hidden from site with the boot floor covering in place.

boot-foam.jpg and

-John
JohnCh
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: