WORK QUALITY is: a dry TWINK!!

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:13 am

....................tbh: this is the first time (since 83!) my punk doesn't leak anything: make's me feel pretty darn proud! ...................as most of the cars on this forum are more or less free of corrosion due to these lovely lil oil leaks! sandy: one of the brave!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Briggs1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:26 pm

put oil in it :-)

more seriously - well done.
Briggs1
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:06 pm

i knew i'd get that comment: many many moons ago i had a rocket 3 bsa and she also leaked (that wuz in 1975!) sandy ps: bought her all boxed up but perfect.
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:07 pm

el-saturn wrote:i knew i'd get that comment: many many moons ago i had a rocket 3 bsa and she also leaked (that wuz in 1975!) sandy ps: bought her all boxed up but perfect.

An early "Ray Gun" Rocket 3?

A friend of mine bought one of the first with money that had been saved for his marriage.

That lost him some serious brownie points.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:20 pm

yepp a ray-gun 3 cylinder: sounded like a ferrari: as u gentlemen see, my british wedding started very early in my life! the trident was almost the same - rocket 3 had a tilted engine! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:44 pm

There was an article way back, I believe in CAR magazine, of a race between an Elan and a BSA Rocket 3.

Although the BSA obviously easily out accelerated the Elan, I cannot remember the outcome!

L J K Setright rode the bike - remember him?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:18 pm

I remember LJK Setright, sometimes known as Long John Kick Start.

I particularly remember a piece of advice he gave his readers that applied to buying performance items for your car back in the 1960's. "If you have to measure the improvement, then it was not worth the money". What he was explaining to me as a young man has been good advise that I have tried to apply to many things. Wine for example, I like it, but good (expensive) wine is wasted on me I don't have the pallet to appreciate it. My car has more ability than I can use, but I can't take his advise there, I just keep spending money.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:01 am

i fully agree with long john: if u can't feel it, it wasn't worth the money HOWEVER there's these rich lads who'd say they couldn't feel the improvement --- once they saw the bills, they DID all of a sudden notice the difference. sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Kansas Randy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:59 am

It is really going to be fun reading this forum, just as soon as I learn the EnglishEnglish language. What in the world is a "twink?"

But I do remember LJKS.

Kansas Randy
Kansas Randy
New-tral

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:42 am

Twink: Twin Cam. :)
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Kansas Randy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 am

Thanks!!!! I will start a glossary.
Nice to know since I have one coming out of the paint shop soon.
65 Elan s1
Kansas Randy
New-tral

PostPost by: Kansas Randy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:06 am

Now I am reminded of a serious question.

My detachable hardtop was in bad shape when I got the car, and I recall that there was a strip of some sort of adhesive cloth material (approx 2 in. wide) on the leading edge where it meets the windscreen frame. Now many years and many packrats have caused the cloth to vanish.
What do real Elan guys use to seal that interface? Or do you not bother?

And how many hardtop manufacturers were there? This top is contemporary to the car, which came to me 36 years ago.
Kansas Randy
New-tral

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Personally I use colour matching duct tape. No leaks.

On Bill from Vancouver Island's car, which he has owned from new, there is a strip of rubber that looks original.

In period photos of even the prototype(?) hard top the joint is taped over.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Kansas Randy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks for the advice! Can't beat Racer Tape.
Kansas Randy
New-tral

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:56 pm

Kansas Randy wrote: I recall that there was a strip of some sort of adhesive cloth material (approx 2 in. wide) on the leading edge where it meets the windscreen frame. Now many years and many packrats have caused the cloth to vanish.
What do real Elan guys use to seal that interface? Or do you not bother?

I didn't bother on my S2. The lip on the hard top just slotted into the slot in the screen surround that normally takes the soft top front fixing.

vincereynard wrote:There was an article way back, I believe in CAR magazine, of a race between an Elan and a BSA Rocket 3.

Although the BSA obviously easily out accelerated the Elan, I cannot remember the outcome!

This may help.

bsa-v-elan1.jpg and

bsa-v-elan2.jpg and
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: