Alternative vacuum solenoid on headlights system (+2)

PostPost by: mgourwcg » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi,

I have purchased the recommended solenoid in this post. I have found Mike very helpful and also very knowledgeable. The valve I got seems to have a problem that Mike is resolving, it will not hold its vacuum in the closed position with the vacuum at 15 ins Hg and the engine off. The vacuum disappeared in 15 secs. Cleaned all inside the solenoid to no avail with Mike's permission did not want to invalidate my warranty. In addition the light pods took their time coming up. Had a chat with Mike and I am going for a larger diameter orifice 2.5 mm instead of 1.4mm I think. He will then investigate the problem when he gets the old one back. Some good old fashioned service!!!

In the conversation with Mike I informed him that the whole system without the switch - blanked off- the pods stayed up sorry are still up after 36 hours with the vacuum down to 10ins Hg. I will let you know how the alternative solenoid performs as soon as I get it. I still have Mr Chapmans old switch (45mins holding time). As for location The solenoid comes with mounting holes so somewhere up front is where mine will go.

Michael

Sprint
Based in Bournemouth
mgourwcg
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:06 am

Hi All,

I know the forum likes to hear outcomes. So here are pictures of my new solenoid valve fitted and working well. Thanks to all who helped with details. I did have some difficulty sourcing one of the hose tails but I have the details if anyone else is going down the same path.

Mind you I have stripped the old unit down and got that working as well now! Still the new one is much lighter so Colin Chapman would approve I am sure.

Roy
Attachments
vacuum solenoid +2.JPG and
vacuum solenoid - +2.JPG and
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: