Are Elans Just Hot!

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Hello
Having owned a couple of +2's I cannot get over how much hotter the Elan feels. I would have never thought heat was a problem on the +2 but the Elan seems to virtually glow after a run. I open the bonnet just to let some get out.
I have checked the actual engine temperature and everything is cool or the correct temperature. I have a 71 degree theromostat and Clive's twin fan set up. Timing is fine. I do have a cast iron manifold.
The location of the exhaust and because its a LHD seem to make everything hot under the driving seat.
I still have my Clutch problem albeit that it is slightly better and will change to DOT 3 fluid later this week.
I just wondered whether anyone else has had this and were there any easy fixes.

Thanks

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:52 pm

Are you referring to cockpit heat? I found my Miata much hotter inside than the Elan.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:08 pm

Really yes but also a glowing engine bay!
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Is your fan on the front or back of radiator? I switched mine to the back for a time and found that it made the car interior hot. The engine bay does get quite hot. I've used a laser temperature gun to check temperature throughout the compartment, and it is primarily the exhaust manifold that is throwing off the heat. I have ceramic coating it, but it is still hot in there. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Dan
Fan is on the engine side , I also have the foam over the top of the radiator.

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:02 pm

I found that arrangement to be much more uncomfortable for me, and no cooler for the engine either, which I think many on here would disagree with. Basically it results in air being pushed over the exhaust manifold. I found that heat was streaming through the vents on the top of the dash. Put your hand up there sometime. Really hot. Maybe someone has a good idea for how to prevent it. I moved my fans to the front and found it considerably improved. Stay cool. Dan
PS. Just saw a picture of clivey boy's rear mounted fans, looks nice, obviously you don't want to change that. Maybe you can put some reflective insulation that adheres to the firewall.
Last edited by collins_dan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Have you tried using Evans Waterless coolant instead of water?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks Dan , heatshield may be the way to go. but would than just channel the heat somewhere else?

Elanfan - its not a cooling problem as such as my car runs at sub 80 degrees.

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Do you have the figure 8 lying on its side holes in the side of the engine bay to duct warm air out via the wheel arch?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:46 pm

I have a 1969 S4 and it is not hot in the cabin even in the summer. I do not get hot air coming through any of the vents (at least hotter than ambient) as Dan described. I have a stainless exhaust header without any coating, but I don't remember it being hot with the cast iron header either.

I removed the electric fan a long time ago and just run the engine driven fan as the car stays cool enough without one. Living in the mountains of NC helps as it means no traffic to speak of and relatively cool summer temperatures, although I do get down to SC once in a while and the temperature holds about 90C except in very hot weather and stop and go driving.

Do you have the air exhaust vent in the left side wheel well, just in front of the master cylinder, that removes some air from the engine bay?
Last edited by m750rider on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:59 pm

I think the Elan does feel hot overall. A small car with everything tightly packed, it always feel like it's trying to cook you. Putting Sprint style holes with mesh over them in the wing next to the exhaust manifold has really helped with my car. Does the S4 have those as standard?

Evans coolant won't help with the overall heat in the car as it actually runs hotter than water. Overall engine temp should be roughly the same, but definitely not cooler. The coolant doesn't boil until 180C, but doesn't prevent other issues with hot running. I run waterless coolant in my car and haven't noticed any difference to traditional coolant, but it gives me some comfort...

I am extremely happy with my radiator and fan setup, and my car rarely ever goes over 90C even in standing traffic.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Hah, I see that in the time I was typing my message both posts above me mentioned the holes too.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Do you have any holes from the engine bay into the passenger compartment? I never thought the Elan ran really hot in the passenger compartment. But what I compare to is a Caterham and that is HOT. 140 degrees at the bottom of the drivers foot well and hotter on the left wall of the driverside foot well. Like 160-170.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:24 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Do you have the figure 8 lying on its side holes in the side of the engine bay to duct warm air out via the wheel arch?

Yes the one with the wire gauge over the top

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:25 pm

tvacc wrote:Do you have any holes from the engine bay into the passenger compartment? I never thought the Elan ran really hot in the passenger compartment. But what I compare to is a Caterham and that is HOT. 140 degrees at the bottom of the drivers foot well and hotter on the left wall of the driverside foot well. Like 160-170.

No holes and I have a Caterham and that is a lot cooler but it is RHD

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: