TC back where he feels at home: some hints for restorers!

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:11 pm

a) BACK PLATE: make yr own gasket no. 3 petrimax? stays wet even 2 days after application (block to back plate) so very UNtrustworthy ----- advantage: the paper gasket peels off better than a banana and two wipes of ASSeton gets everything ready for a thin layer of KENT RTV
b) make sure the oil channel stays clear of any RTV and keep the block's feed free of it
c) the back plate's parallelity should be within 1/10 of a mil (thickness also +/- 0,1mm)
d) the front plate also need a fine squirt of kent AND keep the water hole to the right of the pump free of too much rtv
d) CAM COVER: use 2 gaskets instead of one - a burton composite cover gasket alone is way too thin. I also tried this the first time today: it works and both gaskets stay NEW with a minute oil marination!! sandy

I LUV BEING BACK on the road ------------------------PLUS $$$$$$$$$: new bottom/main bearings, new H beam 600hp ? rods, rod bearings, new rod journals on my NEW farndon crank!!! which needed nitration/hardening, polishing, rods were 0,2mm too wide: free sanding to the 0,25 neede clearance FOR FREE by the next door neighbor
WHAT MAKES REALLY f proud: 1st time in 30years: NO LEAKS ---------------- my car was at my leaky alfa pals place --------- i left this afternoon and he'll be thinkin: how the ... did johnson get all this done by himself!!!j!! TBH: i had a fantastic sissors LIFT and a lovely X-Y crane which enabaled lowering the head like they do at RR!! sandy - ran out of gas getting carbs and timing adjusted
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 am

el-saturn wrote: sandy - ran out of gas getting carbs and timing adjusted

you might be running a tad rich, the tank should take a good ten gallons...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:48 am

.........my aluminum tank only takes 26 to 27L - and i switched to the nicer smiths gauge which still shows gas even if there's none left!! thanks sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: