Lotus Elan

best method for cleaning head gasket surfaces

PostPost by: dgym » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:09 am

Hiya,
I'm at the point of cleaning both the head and block in preparation for the new head gasket.
I'd like to be able to do it at home if possible. I have a DVD about a twin cam rebuild and have done lots of googling and there seems to be a massive amount of differing opinion about what will either clean or ruin a surface. The gent in the DVD uses emery cloth wrapped around a straight file and it seemed you could see scratches in the head after he did this.

so far I've been using a straight blade very gently scraping which has made the surface of the head smooth to touch but I can still see remnants of gasket. Or is it just staining?

Does anyone have any good methods to get clean surface on head and block? Or perhaps a suggestion on how good is "good enough"

cheers,
_jim
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 am

CRC gasket remover and scrape very carefully with a flat bladed scraper to remove any stuck bits. Clean up with a degreaser, stiff plastic brush and soft cloth until you have clean bare metal is what I do

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:24 am

Thanks Rohan :)
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:36 am

And if you want to be real careful, get a piece of perspex and sharpen it up to use as a scraper.
It's not as hard as steel and is way less likely to dig a hole in an aluminium surface.

It'll need re-sharpening from time to time, ( on your bench grinder), but you can get it surprisingly sharp.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: