Cheapo Oil Filters

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:37 am

On the subject of filter magnets, see the photo showing the inside of a filter case fitted with a FilterMag magnet. The lines of metal particle residue correspond to the individual magnet elements. The residue is more like a grey paste, and no individual particles are detectible, so very fine stuff that would otherwise be circulating through the oil. This particular photo from a car that gets it's oil changed every 2k miles max, and has about 15k on a rebuild.

Filter btw is a modern replaceable cartridge type (Canton Racing) that allows for inspection of the filter element at each oil change. Overkill perhaps on a street car, but easily being able to check on the filter interior gives me something else to worry about.
Attachments
img_0104.jpg and
Oil filter casing with FilterMag
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:45 am

bitsobrits wrote: (part quote)
Filter btw is a modern replaceable cartridge type (Canton Racing) that allows for inspection of the filter element at each oil change. Overkill perhaps on a street car, but easily being able to check on the filter interior gives me something else to worry about.

Your last comment stirred a memory and made me smile. Whenever I used to change the oil on a very old Healey Sprite I'd take out the sump plug and worry about all the metal filings sticking to the magnet. After a couple of years with no disasters I did calm down but often wondered just what parts of the engine were ending up in the sump.

Which I suppose begs the question, "why don't we have magnetic sump plugs in our engines ?"

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:21 am

I do,in the engine ,gearbox and diff.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:41 am

john.p.clegg wrote:I do,in the engine ,gearbox and diff.

That's interesting John, are the gearbox & diff ones standard Ford parts ? I could be tempted there as those items don't have filters.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:07 am

I can't remember off-hand if the plugs have recesses or not or wether I popped them in the lathe before epoxying a magnet in them....you can get magnets from your local ?1 shop on the end of extending sticks or more powerful ones off Fleabay.

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:40 am

The best o?l filter I have ever come across was on a Fiat 126, and in the depths of my memory I think my Fiat 850 sports coup? had the same system, it was a large diameter crankshaft pulley that split in two revealing hollows or voids at its periphery, it was a centrifugal filter and all the muck, d?bris, dirt etc became compressed in the voids to a rubbery like substance, in fact the first time I saw the stuff I thought that it was rubber, part of a harmonic damper.

Those vehicles even though they burnt o?l would never discolour the o?l, it looked (almost) like new when it was changed.

It would not make any difference to the particles in the sump that a magnet might pick up.

The sump is the place for a magnet and also a mesh filter for the o?l pump suction, get the stuff out before it goes through the o?l pump, filtering afterwards may protect the engine but the pump will already be damaged, thats why i like dry sump pumps with seperate pressure and scavenge stages.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:13 pm

With regards to magnetic sump and gearbox plugs. Burton power sells the goldplug brand sump plugs. I have just got one and waiting to fit it. I've just noticed that they also sell a gold plug for the gearbox as well.

Regards,

Pete
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Lyn7 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:27 am

Hi guys, back on the subject matter. You don't always get what you pay for and brands aren't always reliable either. A few years back I fitted a F**m filter to a Mk2 Golf and could not get the oil light to go out after changing the oil. After phaffing for 3 restarts and checking for leaks and levels the shells started rattling and I gave up. Went to the motor factors and bought a cheapo no name make and hey presto oil pressure. Never had a repeat problem after that. Moral is don't trust anything! :)
Lyn7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:07 am

So what non-bypass filter available in USA is anybody using?
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: