correct positioning of the +2 air filter housing pls?

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:21 am

now i have one i don't know how to fit it!
My original one ( or what was left of it ) is long forgotten as it was legged under a bush 8 years ago . All i have left is what i believe was the locating post just to the right of centre on the front lower valance ... Here's a picture taken from standing in front of my old knackered shell looking down into the front valance and i positioned the new air filter housing and the little bracket that came with it next to it but i dont have a clue really how it fits!. The little bracket was a bit bent when i got it but i believe it to be right for the +2 model .
Any help would be greatly appreciated ! The picture shows the front of car to the LEFT .
i've not touched the little bracket as you see it on right hand trumpet ... looks like a little homemade job on LH trumpet. i unbolted the big bracket on the main housing just to be able to clean off the rust and paint it all up.... presume it was gloss black originally? or would it have been satin black? I have both !
I'ts such a lovely day for painting .. it's about 14 degrees & sunny
air-filter-housing-2.jpg and
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi Rich

Your rebuild must be close to completion by now..... hope so anyway!

I have attached the pictures of my air filter casing. It had a forward facing strip to the lower body work on the front face then I made a couple of stainless steel strips up one to hold the two inlet pipes together as well as a second one that anchors them to the lower body as well. I have attached the pics

hope they help and it all goes well

regards

Bob
Attachments
pa220042.jpg and
pa220045.jpg and
pa220043.jpg and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:37 pm

thanks Bob . I would never have guessed the box would be mounted on its side!
is there a reason you pointed your trumpets to the rear?
Given your lead I've played for 5mins with the box in that position but with the trumpets facing forward.
In that configuration the bracket off the box at the back lines up with the vertical rear edge of the front valance .
I'll wait for paint to dry and see if i can put it all in place tomorrow.
RichC
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:39 am

"is there a reason you pointed your trumpets to the rear?"

any rain/road debris ( small enough to get through the grill ) will end up inside the filter housing.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:55 am

ah found a picture from an old post .... unsurprisingly the early +2 has a different configuration :wink:
the little bracket matches up with my original bracket .
earlyfilter-2.jpg
earlyfilter-2.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:40 am

image.jpeg and
Early +2
image.jpeg and
Air filter element
Air filter element, had to trim top to fit.

Les
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:53 pm

bit of a bu**er when u want to change airfilter !
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi Rich and others

I agree that the air filter unit is (according to the cut-away view in the Lotus +2 manual ) normally mounted on its side, with the inlet pipes facing rearwards.

When I obtained my car the air filter was mounted as shown in my earlier pictures and I decided to keep it like that as Rich says it is much easier to change the element when it is mounted vertically.

On my unit there were a number of un-used (by me at any rate) tapped inserts which I guess reflect the original Non lotus applications that it was used on.

hope this helps

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:16 pm

In my 1968 +2, the original position was flat.

Following my complete restoration, It is now vertical with the trumpets pointing to the radiator. This helps to prevent the ingress of water and dirt.
The trunking comes out on the right of the car, going to the carburettor air box.
To change the filter, you remove the front nose grill, which allows the wing nut to come off to the left of the car, removing cover with trunking to the right along wth filter, quite an easy procedure.

Also in my +2 workshop manual, it has a page which shows the air filter vertical, this being the later recommended position by Lotus.

Sorry I can't post the manual page or photos, as I am currently away from home, but could post early next week.

Edited to correct how to change the filter.
Last edited by TeeJay on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:10 am

Hi All

Just had a look in my Elan +2 Service Parts List (ref number X050T0325H 1976) and on page 156 diagram E41 it does show the air filter housing vertical with the inlets facing rearwards. so does suggest that it was changed on later models. Mine was a December 1973 +2S and when I got the car

Have attached the picture from the manual which also shows which two brackets and their locations

hope this helps best of luck

Bob
Attachments
air_filter.png and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Bob has posted info re Parts List, so no need to add to that.

Here are photos showing my air filter fitted in the vertical position.

air-filter1.jpg and
View through Nose.

air-filter2.jpg and
View with bonnet removed

air-filter3.jpg and
View from top of radiator
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: