Dave Bean cassette water pump

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:30 am

I have been running my TC Elan +2 and it runs great. Although it appears that the water pump may not be working!

I do not feel much flow when I squeeze the top hose. It was running at 80 - 90 C indicated and the electric fan with a 185 F (85C) sensor was not turning on. It did not boil over or overheat. Is it possible that convection with the fan which was turned on by me overriding the sensor, could keep the engine from boiling over?

How can I check for proper water pump flow and is it possible to install the cassette pump incorrectly?

And I thought all was well!

I may install the original radiator and see if that changes things. The custom alloy rad may have a defect.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:01 am

The easiest thing is to disconnect the heater hose and then turn the engine over. Water should pulse out. I imagine your engine would have cooked by now if the pump didn`t work so it`s probably OK.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:14 pm

It needs the water pump to avoid overheating internally. I think if you drove it at temp for more than a few minutes it would boil

I do not believe there is anyway to install it incorrectly

I have watched people at events 'overheat' their cars and then add coolant later

They didn't overheat, twincam can take hitting 120C with good antifreeze without boiling, but when people don't drive their cars in warm weather or on the highway for a good hot soak they will overfill their coolant and the expansion will overflow the tiny bottle

Make sure the fan sensor is wet, let it sit and watch the gauge so you can get a sense of where the indicated temp is when the fan turns on and off by itself. An indicated 110C is nothing to worry about as long as it starts to drop after the fan turns on. Once you get used to the pattern you will worry less.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Assuming you have your thermostat in, this is what I do.

From cold, take off the radiator cap, Let the car idle until the thermostat opens..........you'll know if you have flow as you will see the coolant flowing in the radiator. Safe and the perfect test, works every time. No spills.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: