Engine backplate

PostPost by: Donels » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:21 pm

I acquired my +2 partially disassembled. Now completely stripped and on reassembly. Just trial fitted the new Vought gearbox in the chassis and going to trial assemble the engine to gearbox. Do I need a backplate between engine and gearbox like a typical Ford installation?

There is not one with my pile of bits and the Lotus manual does not show one that I can see.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Donels wrote:I acquired my +2 partially disassembled. Now completely stripped and on reassembly. Just trial fitted the new Vought gearbox in the chassis and going to trial assemble the engine to gearbox. Do I need a backplate between engine and gearbox like a typical Ford installation?

There is not one with my pile of bits and the Lotus manual does not show one that I can see.

There is a backplate, but "backplate" is a bit of a misnomer, it's a thin (about 1mm) sheet steel spacer, with a mating bottom section to close off the bottom of the bell housing.

It can easily be forgotten to be fitted when re-assembling the engine and gearbox....... :shock:
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Donels wrote:I acquired my +2 partially disassembled. Now completely stripped and on reassembly. Just trial fitted the new Vought gearbox in the chassis and going to trial assemble the engine to gearbox. Do I need a backplate between engine and gearbox like a typical Ford installation?

Dave

On trial fitment it's not so important. On final fitment it is important as the plate helps locate the starter motor accurately.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Dave,

After much faffing about I have convinced myself that this plate is important. The plate has three important holes. The large one that the starter registers in and two smaller holes that locate over the two dowels that protrude from the back of the block and align the gearbox to the engine. This plate locates the axis of the starter with respect to the axis of the crankshaft which in turn ensures that starter pinion engage correctly with the flywheel avoiding nasty noises, jamming and damage.

I believe plates are available from south west lotus. If buying used ensure the three important holes are round and the plate is not distorted, otherwise it may not locate the starter correctly.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:47 am

generally called a sandwich plate...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wobblyweb » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 am

Early Twin Cam plate on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-E ... SwxJ9cRKDc

Nothing to do with me just thought it might be helpful.
wobblyweb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:33 pm

Thanks for responses chaps. I?ve bought a new one.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: