Engine mount installation direction/orientation

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:15 am

I recently removed the exhaust side engine mount to facilitate installation of new headers.

The mount appears to be a U-shaped piece of metal with rubber inside of the U, with a protruding steel plate sandwiched between the rubber. The protruding plate has two bolt holes for attachment to the frame. The U-shaped steel piece has four bolt holes on folded ears for attachment to the engine block.

I re-installed the exhaust side mount with the U toward the bottom of the mount; i.e. one sees the rubber from the above the car but only sees the steel U from under the car. Is this orientation correct?

I checked the carb side mount (installed by the previous owner). It appears to be the other way up. Is it correct, or should it be turned over?

Any help appreciated.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:28 am

Stu

No,it is failsafe so if the rubber goes the frame plates catch the engine weight in the upturned U

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:38 am

Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:06 pm

from my understanding the +2 has both engine mounts the same orientation (e.g. solid U bottom pointing skywards (more of an 'n' then, really) but the baby elans have them installed one one way and one the other.

I recently replaced mine and had to slightly drill out the holes as the replacements didn't quite align to my S/130 block...
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:55 pm

leedsj wrote:but the baby elans have them installed one one way and one the other.

Good heavens no, and I can't believe how many times this motor mount issue gets bashed around. Failsafe only works one way and it is the same way on both sides of the engine. The inverted U-bracket which attaches to the engine block loops over top of the flat bracket which bolts to the chassis frame. This limits how far the engine can drop if the elastomer in the mount fails. Elans with Strombergs and all +2 variants use the same mount on both sides of the engine. Elans with Webers and Dellortos have a special mount on the carburettor side which raises the engine for clearance to the footwell. This is a special mount but it is installed in the same orientation. The interesting bit is that all of this applies to standard Lotus chassis frames. The engine mounts are mounted the other way around with Spyder chassis frames. This is because the U-bracket mounts to the Spyder frame and Spyder supplies a fabricated adapter that bolts to the engine block and then picks up the flat bracket. So in this case the failsafe works the other way around and the mounts are used upside down as compared to the orientation with a Lotus chassis frame. Sorry if this post has a rant tinge to it. Lotus owners really need to be familiar with the workshop manual and service parts lists. So much basic information is there at our finger tips.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:21 pm

oops... apologies for the lack of original Elan knowledge - will stick to what I know in the future (mind you piano chords and PHP are of limited use in this forum ;) Advice still holds for Stu though so hopefully limited damage done

CBUEB1771 wrote:
leedsj wrote:but the baby elans have them installed one one way and one the other.

Good heavens no, and I can't believe how many times this motor mount issue gets bashed around. Failsafe only works one way and it is the same way on both sides of the engine. The inverted U-bracket which attaches to the engine block loops over top of the flat bracket which bolts to the chassis frame. This limits how far the engine can drop if the elastomer in the mount fails. Elans with Strombergs and all +2 variants use the same mount on both sides of the engine. Elans with Webers and Dellortos have a special mount on the carburettor side which raises the engine for clearance to the footwell. This is a special mount but it is installed in the same orientation. The interesting bit is that all of this applies to standard Lotus chassis frames. The engine mounts are mounted the other way around with Spyder chassis frames. This is because the U-bracket mounts to the Spyder frame and Spyder supplies a fabricated adapter that bolts to the engine block and then picks up the flat bracket. So in this case the failsafe works the other way around and the mounts are used upside down as compared to the orientation with a Lotus chassis frame. Sorry if this post has a rant tinge to it. Lotus owners really need to be familiar with the workshop manual and service parts lists. So much basic information is there at our finger tips.
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:21 am

Thanks very much for the clarification. The photo posted above is exactly what mine looks like, and the fail safe design makes sense. I was tired when I was installing it, and thought I had reasoned elastomer failure through correctly, but clearly had it backwards/upside down.

I did extensively review both the workshop manual and the parts manual for clarification prior to posting my question. I could not find a direct reference to the engine mount orientation in either. CBUEB1771, is there a reference in these materials I have missed perhaps?

I reviewed illustration EA in the parts manual (1967 - 1969), referencing Plate Reference Number EA 27, P/N 116 E 6068. This does not look like mine, and appears to have rubber showing on the top, without a 'U" or "n" shape to the steel. Perhaps this is a different set-up than in my car, and a source of my confusion.

Cheers
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:04 pm

Stu

I'm afraid I've also found the Plus 2 Parts List a bit lacking in some areas. I guess it was OK in '67 when the cars first came out, but it was not up-dated to take account of every little change which occured over the years.

I too was originally confused with the orientation of the engine mounts on the Plus 2 but I'd been used to Twin Cam Europas. Here, the same mounts are used but as they're bolted to the chassis the not the engine, therefore they need to be fitted the other way up ( I assume its a similar to what Spyder do ).

Incidently, I had to change the mounts on my Plus 2 because a PO had fitted a tall 2 Seater Elan mount under the carbs. It seems engine mounts confuse a lot of people

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:06 pm

stugilmour wrote:I did extensively review both the workshop manual and the parts manual for clarification prior to posting my question. I could not find a direct reference to the engine mount orientation in either. CBUEB1771, is there a reference in these materials I have missed perhaps?

I've done a fine job of embarrassing myself on this one. I checked the workshop manual and service parts list again and find that you are correct. The motor mount shown in the service parts list must be a very early version. However the Dave Bean Engineering catalog has a modified version of the plate in the service parts list. Bean's version shows the inverted U motor mount as well, and in the correct orientation. I'll go back to my hole now.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: