Engine CC

PostPost by: folding_bloke » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Hello all,

I have 20 thou pistons in my big valve sprint cammed twin cam and I was wondering what that makes the CC. Can anyone calculate it for me?

Many thanks in advance.
folding_bloke
New-tral

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Welcome Folding Bloke!

Your engine should displace 1595cc assuming that they are standard oversize piston fitted to a standard crank without extra head /valve chamber porting.

+20 pistons are 83.5mm normal stroke is 72.84mm

A useful calculator below
http://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator2.php

Did you need this information for a specific reason? It's not a good idea to alter the engine CC on the V5 log book (assuming you are in the UK)
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:49 pm

+20 thou is a nominal 83.0mm not 83.5mm

so around 1577cc not 1595cc

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Oops! sorry, I was looking at the +40 piston diameter on my chart. :oops:

Rohan, I expect you know this stuff off the top of your head :wink:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: folding_bloke » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Hello to you too Spyder fan,

Spyder fan wrote:Did you need this information for a specific reason? It's not a good idea to alter the engine CC on the V5 log book (assuming you are in the UK)

Purely anorak information! No interest in telling DVLA anything, they may try and take my tax free status away! :evil:

rgh0 wrote:so around 1577cc not 1595cc

Many thanks for that, a friend thought 1583cc. Not sure how he came to that though...

I should say now, that my engine is not in its original home. It's now in this:

nec2011_08.jpg and

That's the Anglia obviously, not the Portafold! :lol:

alfred.jpg and

2012-06-17_02.jpg and

Still some tidying to do under the bonnet but it's getting close to how I want it. :D
Last edited by folding_bloke on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
folding_bloke
New-tral

PostPost by: jono » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:05 pm

..oooh that's nice :)

the colour looks like BMC Tweed Grey?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:10 pm

How did you do that,I believe Colin had to use a left hand drive to fit the twinc in....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: folding_bloke » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:46 pm

jono wrote:..the colour looks like BMC Tweed Grey?

Nope, Ford Spruce Green. It's probably the yellow lights at the NEC. They're horrible for colours, I hope they get round to changing them sometime.

john.p.clegg wrote:How did you do that, I believe Colin had to use a left hand drive to fit the twinc in...

You need a 'reverse cylinder pedal box' from Milton Race Prep! http://www.dalek.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/105speed/Milton.pdf

Indeed he did. There were two of them used as run-arounds at Dagenham apparently, long before it went anywhere near the Cortina I hasten to add...

This will explain a lot. A great quote from the late great Jim Clark himself:

"Back in the winter of 1961 I had been in London seeing Colin at the factory and I found myself without a car. At this, Colin had turned round and said: 'How about taking this Anglia back to Scotland with you?' I'm no motoring snob, but the idea of driving up to Scotland in an Anglia didn't sound too good. But Colin was insistent, and so off I went. This, however, was no ordinary Anglia. This car really had poke and I started to enjoy myself with it. I remember catching up with a Jaguar and giving him the fright of his life by passing him at well over 100 mph.?
folding_bloke
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Folding Stuff,

If you cover any sort of mileage in your Anglia, you will just wear out your engine in double quick time if you run it without any sort of air filters. The clue is in the words.

Nice looking job by the way.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm

I seem to remember they also shortened the inlet runners on the head before the engine went into production.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jon.ford » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:20 pm

That Anglia is lovely some more pics would be great.
I may be a bit bias with my name.
Jon Ford
You know you have a good car when your wife hates it.
Jon.ford
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: folding_bloke » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:21 pm

We've been down the road of filters obviously, but these two pictures might explain why we're still in the planning stage...
2012-06-17_07.jpg and

2012-06-17_10.jpg and

And some other pics.
At the engine builders, virtually finished.
2011-10-06_6.jpg and

On display at the Southampton Motor Show.
2012-08-05_01.jpg and

Don't leave your car too long at the garage I use, otherwise you get pranks like this played on you...
2012-03-26_1.jpg and
Last edited by folding_bloke on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
folding_bloke
New-tral

PostPost by: S2Jay » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:15 pm

This is just a random thought about the limited space you have available for any sort of filter connection or box, and this post will just continue the digression from the original topic. Without considering any of the effects on the float angle of the carbs, linkage, etc, would it be interesting to devise an angled manifold flange adapter to use either Downdraft Webers, or angle the Sidedrafts up at whatever max angle they will operate correctly? This could allow access to space for a filter assembly of some sort. I have no idea if you have enough vertical space for Downdrafts, or how much angle either the Sidedrafts or the Downdrafts will tolerate, it just seemed like an interesting thought.

Very good looking job on the car & engine bay & best luck on resolving the filter issue.

Jay
Last edited by S2Jay on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
just looking for clues at the scene....
S2Jay
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:21 pm

John McCoy has been developing a shorter inlet manifild to use with his Stromberg to Weber conversion heads in search of more high rpm hp but it may be useful to give you more space in the anglia.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: folding_bloke » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:12 am

S2Jay wrote:Without considering any of the effects on the float angle of the carbs, linkage, etc, would it be interesting to devise an angled manifold flange adapter to use either Downdraft Webers, or angle the Sidedrafts up at whatever max angle they will operate correctly? This could allow access to space for a filter assembly of some sort. I have no idea if you have enough vertical space for Downdrafts, of how much angle either the Sidedrafts or the Downdrafts will tolerate, it just seemed like an interesting thought.

There isn't much room, it's very tight on the bulk-head side, and the bonnet is not very high. If they were tilted up I think they might hit the bonnet, but I'll certainly look into it.

rgh0 wrote:John McCoy has been developing a shorter inlet manifild to use with his Stromberg to Weber conversion heads in search of more high rpm hp but it may be useful to give you more space in the anglia.

Nube question, how can you have a shorter inlet manifold by bolting something onto the cylinder head? Surely that's only going to make it longer? The only way I think I can make more room is to fit a thinner gasket between the carbs and head.

I'm looking at putting a wire mesh grill over the ram stacks, which would fit in my engine bay. I suppose I could then put a fine mesh material over them (womens tights, type of thing) to filter the air a bit more.

Any ideas?
folding_bloke
New-tral

Next

Total Online: