Engine Weight

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:45 pm

How much does a bare twink weight? Just so I can check that the hoist it up to it at full extension.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Found this thread that suggests about 100kg and that seems about right, Rohan will probably know.
lotus-twincam-f39/engine-weight-t13918.html

Are you lifting it our of the car? If so, allow for extras such as the drag of the gearbox on the rear as you pull them apart. Will it have a flywheel and clutch, that saves a lot of weight as does removing the head first.

My hoist is rated at 250 kg at full extension and the engine is certainly much less that that, however the obvious answer is, if there is any doubt don't do it.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:40 pm

a good husky wife 'll do: if well fed she'll weigh just about right AND you only have to lift her 2 inches! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:49 pm

el-saturn wrote:a good husky wife 'll do: if well fed she'll weigh just about right AND you only have to lift her 2 inches! sandy

:shock:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:46 pm

mikealdren wrote:Found this thread that suggests about 100kg and that seems about right,

Are you lifting it our of the car? If so, allow for extras such as the drag of the gearbox on the rear as you pull them apart. Will it have a flywheel and clutch, that saves a lot of weight as does removing the head first.

Mike,
Thanks for that. I guestimated about 120> 140 Kg so that should be fine. The full extension may caused a problem, I'll have to see. The +2 has a long snout! The head is already off but I hope to have it whole and sorted before I put the engine back.

Sandy,
Eerr? Thanks! Can I have some of what you are drinking. It might help.

Alan,
I've written a full and descriptive letter to our chums. Lets see what happens.

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:34 pm

I usually test my hoisting method by trying to lift the whole front of the Elan with the engine still in.

If I can stretch the suspension high I reckon it will be OK for just the engine. :D
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:34 pm

Vince, looks like you are OK on the estimate of engine weight.

Adding this as I was recently searching the archives for a similar estimate to assess shipping methods. Might help in the future if someone is searching our archives. It was interesting I could also only find approximate weight ranges when I was looking. Pretty important for shipping if you pack the engine and exceed a maximum weight limit. :shock:

Anyway, to add my two bits...

My recently shipped Stromberg Twin Cam core was 128 kg. This included a fabricated small wooden pallet (roughly 36" x 36", should have recorded the exact size), fabricated bolt together aluminum cart to hold the engine by the mounts rather than resting on the oil pan, a cardboard box cover, and some miscellaneous tie down and lifting straps. The carbs and exhaust manifold were removed from the core engine. Can't recall if the clutch back plate was attached to the core. The fuel pump and generator / alternator were not attached. Dizzy & plugs were in place.

Perhaps when I get the engines back to base I will hopefully remember to add some additional pics and shipping dimensions for reference. I found this sort of detail was required to assess shipping methods on-line. Luckily I found a local courier company that could provide service, as the big companies like Purolator & UPS aren't really set up for this size and weight, and handling without a forklift has it's own issues.

Cheers! All the best on the nine pull.

Stu
Attachments
img_0433.jpg and
My Fully dressed Stromberg head Twin Cam. The SU carbs and exhaust header both non-stock. I did not weigh this one for shipping, but the core engine that weighted in at 128 kg gross shipping weight was packed with a similar home-made engine cart. HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:49 pm

stugilmour wrote:Cheers! All the best on the nine pull.

Stu

?

It came out easily with a 2 ton crane which JUST had enough reach over the snout.

p1050110.jpg and

That's the good news!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: