Exhaust clamps to be replaced...by?

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:33 am

Hello, because probably of a dead engine mount bush the whole exhaust line went far too low during last rally.
The exhaust clamps kissed the ground too many times not to be replaced...

My question is: should i get replacement exhaust clamps identical to original ones?

Or do you recommend fitting another kind of exhaust clamps?

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:49 am

My preference is Mikalor stainless band clamps, took me a while to recall the name.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:49 am

You could try Spire clips. I've never used them there myself so they might not clamp tight enough but you could cut extra slots in the outer pipe to make it easier for them.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:57 am

Yeah mikalor are good. I had a spare lying around... Sadly it was for my seven exhaust and it does not fit for the elan... Too large
Attachments
image.jpg and
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:05 am

I'll second Mikalor..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Yes, Mikalor for the bits that need to be clamped but the old two piece clamp can have a sacrificial role to protect the pipe at the rear if it grounds.

The Sprint setup will be different to my twin pipe S4 arrangement but with that the pipes leading into the silencers are the first things to ground and I've kept a couple of clamps there to stop wearing the pipe away.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Smart :mrgreen:
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:40 pm

..or you could weld skids over the Mikalor clamps

Front...

2014_0318enginein0004.JPG and

Rear

2014_0318enginein0005.JPG and

John :wink:

P.S. the rear one has be re-aligned now..
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:44 pm

"Yes, Mikalor for the bits that need to be clamped but the old two piece clamp can have a sacrificial role to protect the pipe at the rear if it grounds"

Having completed a few regularity rallies I would second this - especially in France where the roads used are generally little more than farm tracks!

In fact, I don't now use any clamps at all, having modified the TT large bore system to provide a lot of very tight "overlap" between the manifold / collector & silencer section. If the silencer catches very badly it simply shoots out of the rear. Ten minutes with some hand cleaner for lubrication, plus a hammer & a wood block, & it's all back & we're on our way. No need even to jack to back up!!!

Interestingly ....... whilst we were stationary, a very large percentage of the non-UK cars passing stopped to ask if we needed any help (we responded basically "thanks very much but no - my mate / co driver speaks good French") but not a single UK registered car even slowed down!!

Dave M.

Edit - in 2013 we entered an event based around Laon, France. After the first 3 stages I had stopped to put the exhaust on twice, & the 5th stage notes warned of "rough roads". In the 4th stage we hit a massive change in surface angle around a corner & again the rear section shot out of the back. We gave up at that & with GPS headed for the end of the rally (having used a stop watch & highly inaccurate Elan speedo up to that point - others using illegal GPS all the time) to incur maximum penalties. We were only there "for the beer" plus food / wine etc anyway so headed back - via the finish - to our hotel & some cold drinks .........!!

Drove the Elan to the City parade on Sunday, & back to the UK on the Monday no problem.

Interestingly ....... whilst we were stationary, a very large percentage of the non-UK cars passing stopped to ask if we needed any help (we responded basically "thanks very much but no - my mate / co driver speaks good French") but not a single UK registered car even slowed down!!
Last edited by Maulden7 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Skid is clever

Clampless is also a good idea.

Better loosing the rear can when hit by a rock than ripping the the whole sustem because its well tightened

You both make points...
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SF69Elan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi folks - I'm a new member and haven't posted pics of my car yet (69 Elan S4 DHC - owned it for a few months and going through the sorting out period), but I've already had to deal with a similar exhaust challenge.. My custom exhaust was held on by the clamps at the header, and then hung (but not clamped) in two places - mid-exhaust and at the muffler. While driving back home after getting the car registered the exhaust actually fell off the car - the streets here in San Francisco can be a bit rough. I was close to home so I got the Elan home and drove back in another car to find my exhaust by the side of the road at a main intersection - some Aussies in town had dragged it to the side of the road - we had a good laugh and they helped me load it up to get it back home. I was able to get the exhaust back on and clamped, but I knew I needed a better solution or I would be dropping the exhaust regularly. I took the car down to Dietsch Works in San Jose last week and they fabricated a custom hanger and clamp for me - pics below. It is very solid, and keeps the exhaust nice and high. Now I can move on to swapping out the existing carbs for some new 40 DCOE 151s from Dave Bean (wish me luck, I've swapped 4bbl carbs out on old 289 Mustangs before, but I'm taking my time prepping for the dual carb switch to learn as much as possible before diving in).

Rich

Elan Exhaust Bracket.JPG and
Custom Elan Exhaust Bracket
"What kind of a man are you? Don't you even like dolphins!?" - Zorba the Greek

69 Elan S4/SE DHC
66 Ford Mustang Conv. (289ci)
71 Cadillac Eldorado Conv. (8.2L)
65 Buick Wildcat Conv. (425ci)
And a pickup truck full of Miatas....
SF69Elan
Second Gear
Second Gear