exhaust jointing paste

PostPost by: daverubberduck » Fri May 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Quick question, I just bought a new manifold off Sue Miller and I asked her for some jointing paste which she didn't have. Then she said that she thinks Mick never used it. Before I nip to Halfords, do others use this stuff or not? The joins seem pretty snug to me so maybe it's not necessary.
Dave
daverubberduck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri May 25, 2018 5:56 pm

I?ve always just given the joints a good covering with copperslip on my stainless system. It?s been fine and easy to get apart again if necessary.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: daverubberduck » Fri May 25, 2018 9:32 pm

I must admit that it took me a long time to get the old system apart, so using copper slip grease sounds like a good idea. Many thanks for the tip.
daverubberduck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 pm

Better joint using the Mikalor type clamps rather than the basic u bolt type ones too.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri May 25, 2018 10:53 pm

Whether you need the paste it not will depend on the exhaust. When I got mine I had an exhaust leak at the y so I removed the system and re fitted with paste. Now it doesn't leak but is a bit harder to remove.

If it was a new system I might be tempted to try it with out paste and see if I was lucky. Worse case you have to remove it and re fit with paste.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat May 26, 2018 2:19 am

I don't use any on my elan, but I use firegum on my diesel MPV as one of the joints there is a bit wobbly.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: daverubberduck » Sat May 26, 2018 9:23 am

Many thanks everybody, this has been really useful. I have the Mikalor clamps. I will try it first with copper grease and see if it works.
Dave
daverubberduck
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: