Exhaust lifespan?

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:48 am

The exhaust on my S130 is a stainless steel system fitted is 1995. Whilst it still looks like new, it's pretty loud and I'm wondering whether the internals give up before it's evident from the outside. I would describe the noise as booming rather than a rasping sound. Anyone any idea on what you should expect re lifespan?

On a similar note i've seen SJ Sportcars have the later bigger bore silencer - does anyone have one (or remember) how they performed versus the earlier type?
Thanks
Steve
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Wow - didn't know the Peco silencer was available again. I have an original one and yes, compared to the usual style stainless ones they are louder, more of a deeper bass note. Stainless does sound a bit tinny anyway but the Peco is definitely deeper sounding than the standard silencer even when it's mild steel. I like it, but it is rather heavy.

As for longevity, I couldn't say as far as the internals lasting but I have replaced stainless ones due to the welds failing.

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Could you not have the rear box repacked? Many Stainless boxes can be opened up and re-welded fairly easily, sounds like yours had Glass wool in it rather than Stainless packing. The Glass wool does burn off over time on more performance orientated cars.

I can't comment on the SJ Sports car Peco reproduction but if you can get past the odd tail pipe the original +2 Peco is in my opinion the best sounding (more round exhaust note) than any sensible priced exhaust (TTR sound good but ?1000+ is a bit steep)

This is the original Peco not the Reproduction, i'd be interested to see the tail pipe of the SJ Sports version.
img_1832.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: