Exhaust Muffler Suggestions for Plus 2

PostPost by: tr8bofin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Anyone have a suggestion on a muffler for a plus two? I've tried to get accustom to the one currently fitted (attached, blue car) for two years now, but it's too extreme for me. It drones loudly at freeway speed and is near to ear-splitting when accelerating hard. Something that is sporty and moderately loud on acceleration and relatively muted at light throttle would be the best compromise.

The second picture of the yellow car with dual muffler is one I found that looks promising, but I've never heard a car with this set up and am not sure it will fit.

Suggestions on both the right unit and the vendor from which to purchase it would be very much appreciated.

Best in All, Albert
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg and
plus2ehaust.jpg and
tr8bofin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:20 am

I have had good results with an additional narrow straight though box fitted in front of the existing rear box. That is between the rear box and the engine. The new box is only about 60 mm in diameter and round. I have a Plus 2.

This new box can be arranged to give 5 inches of clearance underneath it, but it does depend on the ride height at the back.

Sorry I do not have any pics, because I had a second knee replacement last Sunday and I just made it to my pc!

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Same here. Now just the right amount of noise accelerating, quite muted cruising.
20150918_154414.jpg and
Intermediate box.

20150918_161530.jpg and
Intermediate box fitted.

Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Even factory, or aftermarket factory type systems drone

as a note, is your spare bolted down?
trunk floor in place?
carpet in place

all help lower noise
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Dougal's extra box looks identical to mine.

The only difference is that mine is nearer the back of the car...

My exhaust and manifold is also all mild steel except for the back box, which is a Chris Neil stainless steel replacement.

Update - I have found an old picture of my box - see attached. A rear gearbox oil leak had stained it but that's now fixed. I really must clean it up!

Dave.
Attachments
imag0288.jpg and
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: crannyr » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:17 am

Borla makes a stainless muffler that is a perfect fit with a upgrade to the size of the exhaust pipe. check their web site for availability, size, and price, https://www.borla.com/.
Attachments
img_20150403_210332823.jpg and
img_20150403_210345490.jpg and
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tr8bofin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:59 am

Many thanks to Dougal, Dave and et al for the very helpful responses! I'm excited about the ~60mm intermediate box in particular. Anyone recall who they sourced from? (I'm in US so shipping cost may be prohibitive from the UK, but I'd consider it nonetheless.)

Gus, Great points re: trunk contents as I would not have surmised that this would make much of a difference. In fact, my spare is not bolted down and my trunk subfloor is missing altogether. I'm going to search the forum for pattern dimensions and make one, perhaps with a cover of sound-deadening for good measure.
tr8bofin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:56 am

Burton Power in Ilford London stock these straight through exhaust boxes. They seem to be more like 80 mm in diameter though (my new knee stops me measuring mine unfortunately).

Here is a steel one which may be even quieter than the stainless steel ones mentioned above:

http://www.burtonpower.com/jetex-1-75-s ... 04500.html

or the stainless version:

http://www.burtonpower.com/jetex-1-75-s ... 4500r.html

Check that your system takes the 1.75 inch versions shown here.

Cheers,

Dave
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: